speed and temp @ The Ball ****DIY****

5/31/14 @ 1:41 PM
ORIGINAL POST
boscrowe
boscrowe
USER since 2/28/09
Im the type that has to make something if it can be made by me . Or at least i will give it a try . I won’t try to make some thing if it can be bought at the store cheaper .Any way in the middle of three other trolling projects my mind came up with one that I’m going to give a try at . Heres what I’m thinking get a cheap depth finder like a hummingbird piranha or lowrance 10X . ( with a paddle wheel temp combo ) make a mount from lexon and attach to the ball , i will buy a extension cord from them and use a electrical waterproof splice joint to cover the joint . Material : Humminbird $80 Speed temp combo $14 splice $5 extension cord $25 total $130-150 thoughts ,………..
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 9 of 9 Posts
6/24/14 @ 3:53 PM
Fish Hound
Fish Hound
USER since 1/29/02
Nor sure if that's the direction I would have gone, the Cannon is non-serviceable and irreplaceable. Something quits or gets lost and your out your entire $400. For another $40 you could have gotten a new unit with warranty, that's repairable, and can purchase lost parts.

Post Your Comment
6/23/14 @ 8:19 PM
boscrowe
boscrowe
USER since 2/28/09
The project has been canceled . I bought a cannon speed and temp today . $400

Post Your Comment
6/9/14 @ 6:11 PM
boscrowe
boscrowe
USER since 2/28/09
I am but as many projects go you find things out along the way that you didn't know prior to starting the project . One thing that has put a stand still to the whole thing is that I can't find a fish finder with a paddle wheel that is sensitive below 2mph

Post Your Comment
6/9/14 @ 5:11 PM
Jason Woda
trophy hunter
USER since 9/1/01
??????? I thought you were trying not to buy one of those and going to make one.

Edited on 6/9/14 5:12 PM
(414) 384.8096
Post Your Comment
6/7/14 @ 8:04 PM
boscrowe
boscrowe
USER since 2/28/09
Just had a moment here a break threw so to speak . 1I have a Mercury verado 2 it has smart troll 3 smart troll had the option to set speed of boat via gps , or a remote paddle wheel .

Which means I could hook up the sub troop , deapth radier , or fish hawk to the speed of the rigger ball . To the mercury smart craft and control the speed off of that .

Correct me if I'm wrong ..????

Post Your Comment
6/1/14 @ 8:09 PM
JamesD
JamesD
USER since 2/16/04
Don't give up. If it works, there will be a lot of guys trying your idea lined up behind you wanting the same thing. I tried the kit for my Aqua-veiw camera that had a plastic coated cable and sway back WAS an issue. Still. I could get the cam down to 60 feet and, for a while, it had a temp sensor (that has now quit working). Not exactly the same as a temp probe but, it gives you some idea of the problems involved. Use the smallest, roundest cord you can make work.

Post Your Comment
6/1/14 @ 8:31 AM
boscrowe
boscrowe
USER since 2/28/09
The whole cord thing is a major issue .

Post Your Comment
5/31/14 @ 4:15 PM
griff n
griff n
USER since 6/17/11
even the smaller extension cord on a depth finder will give you BIG-TIME blowback

Edited on 5/31/14 5:09 PM
Post Your Comment