Solo launching at McKinley

4/3/18 @ 9:26 AM
ORIGINAL POST
kuw12388
kuw12388
USER since 2/22/16

I know this is somewhat of a dumb question but I’d appreciate advice. What’s the best way to launch solo at McKinley when the piers aren’t in? 

Do you guys just beach the boat up on the ramp and park the truck. Probably answered my own question but any tips would be appreciated.

thanks in advance 

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 8 of 8 Posts
7/22/18 @ 2:32 PM
One shot one kill
One shot one kill
MEMBER since 8/12/02

What is the launch fee ? Finally have a boat to go out again .

Thanks

Post Your Comment
4/10/18 @ 9:14 AM
smeylink
smeylink
USER since 2/3/08

We launch with two of us, but with fenders you should be able to tie off to the side so you can park.  Bring boots or lift and bring boat close to shore.  We had a guy slip last season when getting out and his hunting boot was soaked as he went down to his knee.  Haven't been out this season to that launch yet but was thinking a ladder would be nice on the N side of the launch to tie up and get out to get your trailer.  

Post Your Comment
4/8/18 @ 8:57 AM
blackbrd
blackbrd
USER since 1/9/07

By the way did they clean up southshore yet or is it still unuseable

Post Your Comment
4/8/18 @ 6:58 AM
BigMusky12
BigMusky12
USER since 12/22/04

Just like launching up north - not a problem for my boat.  

Post Your Comment
4/4/18 @ 11:57 AM
GRANDAD
GRANDAD
USER since 6/1/09

South Shore is a Joke! Whoever designed the NEW launch area is An idiot!Sand builds up a foot deep with any wind! And they will probably increase launch fee!

Post Your Comment
4/4/18 @ 7:15 AM
Bullman
Bullman
USER since 4/10/15

Just a heads up, South Shore is in very bad shape with lots of sand. They had cleared it off a week or two ago and the sand has returned with the high winds we had over the past few weeks.

Post Your Comment
4/3/18 @ 10:56 AM
BigMusky12
BigMusky12
USER since 12/22/04

I launch the boat with a long rope tied to trailer so it can float off.  I then pull forward slightly so it stays "straight".   I pull it up on ramps and trim down the motor all the way such that it prevents boat from spinning side ways.  

I dont do this with strong east wind obviously blowing into ramp.  The other option is launch at South Shore because they have docks in way before McKinley.  

Post Your Comment