single cylinder kicker, to buy or not to buy?

5/2/14 @ 9:01 PM
ORIGINAL POST
PabloFC
PabloFC
USER since 6/19/05
Thinking on buying a Suzuki 6hp long shaft, but after some research I found a 6hp Tohatsu with an alternator for roughly the same price. There is little information on 6hp outboards. A few of them say they vibrate to much -which might not be an issue- or the handle is to short etc. I was wondering if any of you guys have a 6hp 4 stroke to troll lake Michigan. I have an 18' boat. Any input would be appreciated! Thanks!
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 3 of 3 Posts
5/3/14 @ 7:41 AM
WisTex
WisTex
USER since 9/5/05
some folks like to have a kicker motor big enough to get one's boat back to the marina if the main motor fails. this would be good insurance.

it would have to be able to push the 18 foot boat against the wind, waves, and current to safely and timely get back.

while a single cylinder 4 cycle outboard motor can sound like the african queen's diesel at trolling speed, at full power the little single cylinder motors can make an irritating noise as well as annoying vibrations.

just food for thought.

wistex

Post Your Comment
5/2/14 @ 10:21 PM
ditto
ditto
USER since 12/6/10
How strong is the mount on a 6hp? Most 6hp are not designed to be tipped up and run 40mph though 3' sees.

Post Your Comment