Silver Fever - Sheboygan area - camping?

7/18/15 @ 11:13 AM
ORIGINAL POST
fishinnutinwis
fishinnutinwis
USER since 12/26/01
Very new to great lakes trolling and silver fish , but addicted none the less.Have done a couple charters in past -- just cant afford to do that as often as I would like.. Spend alot of time reading posts and tips given here.. Looking to make first trip out on LM .. Have fished Lake Superior -- Saxon and the bay, but salmon run small. Fishing out of smaller boat--16'Tuffy deep v.. Trying to pick the days to go based on weather forecast as I live 200 + miles away -- Phillips WI.. Plan on fishing shallower -closer to shore - for safety reasons, size of boat etc.. Looking for feedback from fellow experienced big water anglers.. Thanks Also -- is there any nearby camping to pitch a tent?
Edited on 7/18/15 11:15 AM
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 2 of 2 Posts
7/19/15 @ 8:33 PM
fishingfestus
fishingfestus
USER since 7/23/10
Silver Fever: I fish out of the Sheboygan area in a small 16' Boston Whaler open boat. I travel near 600 miles to get to Lake Michigan but make it over about 5 times each summer for the last 5 years. First: Make sure you have everything on board for safety equipment, (PFD's for everyone and I would recommend wearing them if you are fishing in the dark periods of early morning or late evening, a throwable cushion, flares, horn, etc. and read your rule book very thoroughly. I highly recommend GPS or minimally a good compass and a marine radio and possibly a throw bag for added safety. It can get foggy on LM very quickly and finding the harbor with just a compass can be tricky . I typically launch out of Deland Park and it is an excellent marina with a $7 daily launch fee. As far as fishing, I typically stay inside 150 feet of water (about 3 miles) and wouldn't keep coming back if it wasn't worth the the many trips I have made. I don't know how much experience you have on handling a small boat on big water but safety has to be ever on your mind as I have been caught several times in quick increasing wave heights and storms. BE CAREFUL. If you don't have the experience try to buddy up with someone a couple trips until you understand the patterns LM can present. Good Luck.....

Post Your Comment