Salmon-a-Rama July 12th - 20th ($15,000 Guaranteed Grand Prize)

7/1/14 @ 12:29 PM
ORIGINAL POST
SeanileToo
SeanileToo
USER since 4/11/10
Come one come all.... What Tournament can you go to that costs $30 to enter and you have an opportunity to win $15,000??? Not to mention... 10 places for Chinook, Brown Trout, Lake Trout, Rainbow Trou and Coho Salmon! Oh wait there's more... Perch division, Master Angler Division, Kayak Division, Youth Division and the Shore Division. Keep in mind we have moved the Tournament HQ to Reef Point Marina this year and we are excited for the opportunity and room to expand! A huge change for this year is the requirement of everyone on the boat must have a ticket as well as when shore fishing with a group all must possess a ticket. Another big change... we moved the Two on a boat to the closing Saturday July 19th with the captains meeting July 18th at Tournament HQ. This was requested by many anglers in the derby. Be sure to check out our sponsor pages... and come down for the awards... we'll be giving away thousands in product again just by having a ticket you are given a free Raffle ticket. You also have the opportunity to purchase 3 more for $20 or $10 each. Max will be 3 extra. Our entertainment lineup is full this year some come down to the grounds... we are also having a chicken dinner day and Fish boil. To top it all off... you can pull into the designated 2hr parking slips at Reef Point marina to come weigh you fish... it's just a hop skip and jump from the dock to the weigh in. Another reminder is the SAR discount at Reef Point. Check out that well on the website. Any question feel free. Tom
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 26 Posts
7/31/14 @ 2:07 PM
CCA
CCA
USER since 6/19/01
Have checks been sent yet? Haven't seen anything?

Thanks!

That 70's Boat

Post Your Comment
7/29/14 @ 11:37 AM
RoyGbiv
RoyGbiv
USER since 3/6/10
What a bunch of baby's .. Can't take no critism without getting defensive, lol. I know I'm right and musky is right. Every tournament has it's critics and if you can't take into consideration what they are saying then obviously your skin is to thin. Have someone else run the tourney.. ??

Post Your Comment
7/24/14 @ 2:27 PM
Carpminnow
Carpminnow
USER since 1/28/07
I think they did a great job at the Salmon-A-Rama. Here's some pictures I took while fishing.

Post Your Comment
7/24/14 @ 11:13 AM
swamp people
swamp people
USER since 5/14/12
get him a box of tissue already

Post Your Comment
7/24/14 @ 10:41 AM
hooking-fish
hooking-fish
USER since 2/10/11
Musky,

The main complaint seem's to be the raffle, and it very easily can go away. If the chance to win a prize worth hundreds of dollars is not worth showing up on time, than I guess it is not worth the effort put into it for future years to come. This is done by mainly one person, and occasional support from Tom. I know that several hours per day for a full year is put into the raffle. This is due to the fact that NO ONE will help from inside the club, or from volunteers outside the club. I hope you realized how many prizes there was available thank's to one person. This is impressive since so many anglers (thankfully not all) are ruining sponsorship's for not being grateful and thanking these people for donating product. The result is volunteers having to take pictures to show that product was given recognition at the event. This is all because so many participants not being grateful, so the raffle is slowed up by those ungrateful participants. This is nothing more than a bonus to you all that have been involved with the event and buying a ticket. There is absolutely no other event that has the $$$ value given away at the end of the event as SAR does in there super raffle, and all for the price it costs to initially enter the event. Yes bonus tickets can be purchased, which all money goes back into the raffle. What club gives back 100% of proceeds taken in just to be given away again? Salmon Unlimited has 100's of members, but yet only 6-10 people put on this whole event which includes food, entertainment, permits, raffle, sponsors, locations, set up, tear down, parking, advertising, printing of tickets, magazines, weigh in, delivering of scales, checking scales, selling shirts, ordering shirts, filling propane bottles, ordering porta-potties, ordering beer-soda, web site preparation, making rules, ordering trophies, preparing checks, setting up lie detector personnel, doing live interviews, preparing lists of leaders for local paper, verifying leading fish in each category, getting internet hooked up, and do I need to go on because I surely can. This is what goes into the tournament for the committee so yes negativity is hard to swallow for those people. Ideas like yours is greatly appreciated, but maybe stepping up to the plate with these idea's and helping out will help with the issue's you may have. The problem continues to be a few people trying to put on an event and no new volunteers stepping up, and volunteers are getting tired of missing events with there families to benefit those who are ungrateful participants. If you do volunteer Musky, it will still be run poorly, because too many people out there are like yourself and find any fault to criticize.

Edited on 7/24/14 10:55 AM
Post Your Comment
7/24/14 @ 9:16 AM
SeanileToo
SeanileToo
USER since 4/11/10
Musky

This is negative and taken as bashing

"The raffles and awards yesterday were run very poorly. Sure was a shame there was so little organization. A big group of people were left out of the raffles because of poor registration handling"

The event was run per the rules. I'm not saying it was right out in the open for everyone to see... say the front page of the SAR website.

Constructive feedback is what we are looking for to enhance this event. Everyone enjoys the raffle prizes and doesn't realize the amount of work that goes into just getting that ready. Keep in mind there are only 2 of us mainly that handle that... and i'm one of them!

I even made multiple announcements on the grounds as to the raffle instructions. yes the sound wasn't the best. We have a limited budget if we want to keep the $$$ the way it is. As it stands right now we have a hard time keeping it running with the limited funds and volunteers.

Another misconception is that the raffle brings in all this cash. Well that is 100% incorrect! We use every dollar we take in to buy more raffle prizes for the following year. That's why we encourage folks to buy the extra tickets or the raffle would be dismal at best.

We also go above and beyond to take pictures of the product to show support of their sponsorship / discounts. We've already lost many sponsors due to the lack of contestants not even taking the time to post something on facebook... like their page... etc... or even send an email.

All this behind the scenes activity is what we need from each and every contestant. Yet we get continuous posts about how bad it was.. could have been done better.. should have done this...

I have dedicated 100's of hours... and if we really want to get down to it... 1000's of hours on this event in the last four years... taken time from my family all year as well... rest assured the lack of appreciation is wearing thin on the folks who dedicate so much time to put this on and promote this great fishery, the clubs... and get folks involved in something that can easily be taken away.

Please spread the word. Look at what is being done and how much folks put into it. Yes i agree we are not perfect and would love to say we are but it's not the nature of the beast. Rest assured we look at all this.

As to that facebook post taken down... i left it up there for just the reason you said.... but I have no idea who took it down and am looking at that.

There is nothing to hide! I'm an open book and will communicate everything to all.

Any questions feel free to PM me... i'll send you my phone number... meet folks to discuss.. schedule times to help better this event.

Tom

Post Your Comment
7/23/14 @ 3:44 PM
MuskyHunter
MuskyHunter
USER since 6/17/01
I don't think anyone is bashing anything, simply offering a suggestion as to how things are run. If the only answer will ever be "volunteer then" where will that get us? What if I do volunteer and it still is run poorly. A response such as "thanks for your concern, we will take it into consideration" would be much better.

Kind of a joke that anyone who had any sort of non "this event was perfect" comment on the SAR facebook page, had their comment removed. That comes off as SAR does not care about the concerns of those who spend money on the contest.

Post Your Comment
7/23/14 @ 12:21 PM
RoyGbiv
RoyGbiv
USER since 3/6/10
I agree with MuskyHunter, the raffle, among other things could be handled better. I personally know 7 people who didn't get the chance at the raffle that were at or around the tent, they didn't see the fine print about getting an extra ticket and the 1pm ticket station closing time. Keep the ticket booth open til the raffle, better inform contestants of the rules.. and most of all just enjoy the fishing! LETS FACE IT, most people don't win anything for catching fish.. they're best chance is the raffle, most people don't want to sit around for hours on end working the ceremony and waiting for the prizes and raffle. Im sure it could be speeded up for the benefit of all the people Smile

Post Your Comment
7/21/14 @ 10:17 PM
luv2hunt&fish
luv2hunt&fish
USER since 9/5/11
I'm a south pier fishing bum and never had a problem fishing there! If they try to stop me I will fight this anyway I can simply because I have been pier fishing since I was 12. If the problem isn't with the fishermen it's with the riff raff take care of that don't mess with us fishermen who pay city taxes to be able to fish there! We do have people that run the city that are idiots no names need they know who they are.....

Post Your Comment
7/21/14 @ 3:37 PM
MuskyHunter
MuskyHunter
USER since 6/17/01
I'm simply saying that it was difficult for new people. Maybe move the registration table or something?

The sound quality was pretty poor as well.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 26 Posts