S Biner Dipsey

2/4/16 @ 3:35 PM
ORIGINAL POST
North Shore
North Shore
USER since 2/13/13
I looked back and saw a few posts about the S biner rig but can't seem to grasp it. Can anyone explain it? Any thoughts to using the red offshore clip with the pin in it and attaching a dipsey that way or would the pull be too much? Downside to trying this is if it failed it would be about 14 dollars down the drain.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 9 of 9 Posts
2/7/16 @ 12:11 AM
nubbz07
nubbz07
USER since 12/31/09
I updated my boards to snapper clips this fall so I got plenty of clips.

Post Your Comment
2/6/16 @ 8:06 PM
svitreum
svitreum
USER since 8/29/06
If you have not tried the S-biner trick, then you should. It trips just fine, as several kings and lakers can attest to. It will also trip normally when you yank on it to retrieve it. As previously stated I did back off slightly on the trip arm tension. I wound up setting both my braid dipsies up this way. The only disadvantage is being locked into a predetermined lead length. I make mine 40' of line.

Using the 2 different planer board releases works really well too and you can use any lead length you want to. Just have to pony up for the releases if you don't already have them. I use the OR-16's on my planer boards, so I can just filch a couple of those if need be.

Post Your Comment
2/6/16 @ 7:01 PM
nubbz07
nubbz07
USER since 12/31/09
thanks grey. I figured there has to be some slack for the arm to trip.

Post Your Comment
2/6/16 @ 6:38 AM
Grey Beard
Grey Beard
USER since 1/27/02
I never really measured the amount of slack but best guesses 3 to 4 inches. I do that to keep the tension on the front release and hope that assists with tripping the arm.

Grey Beard

Post Your Comment
2/5/16 @ 4:07 PM
nubbz07
nubbz07
USER since 12/31/09
greybeard how much slack line do you leave between the two clips? I think I might try this out this yr.

Post Your Comment
2/5/16 @ 11:22 AM
scrub
scrub
USER since 8/15/06
I set up s biner method on one of my dispey rods exactly like the pic shows. It trolled fine. Had to play with the tension on the dipsey a bit. I kept my other dipsey standard rigged. I can't say one out fished the other, but then again last summer sucked for me anyways

Post Your Comment
2/5/16 @ 8:42 AM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
USER since 9/27/01
Post Your Comment
2/5/16 @ 7:53 AM
Grey Beard
Grey Beard
USER since 1/27/02
I can't help you with the S-Biner because I have not tried it. I will copy and paste what I wrote about using Off Shore releases. I used this setup quite a bit last summer and worked pretty well considering how tought the bite was.

My latest version with a couple of modifications from original: added a tether due to losing a setup. OR 16 red with pin on front attached to drop loop knot with 40' lead on 40# braid. OR 19 (heavy tension, no pin) on rear that will release from line to decrease drag just in case dipsy arm does not trip. I have some slack line between the release.

Why not just buy slide divers? I don't have to keep this on my rod when I store them. A number of extra pad releases left over when upgrading my board releases to OR 18s.

Grey Beard

Post Your Comment