Rigging up a Kayak for Lake Michigan

10/29/13 @ 9:15 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Farcast1
Farcast1
USER since 4/6/07
I've fished Lake Michigan for 25 years out a variety of sized power boats and will continue fishing out of power boats. However, I just picked up an ocean kayak that on the occasional day when the weather is right I'd like to do some fishing from the kayak. Question is how do I rig it up? Suggest clamp on or permanently mounted rodholders? Do you strap a net on the kayak or use some kind of holder? I think I can figure out a depthfinder, but what about surface speed? A GPS? I have a depth raider on my boat, but that's not practical. I assume you use a stringer when you catch something? What else am I missing? Can't wait to give it a try!
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 26 Posts
6/10/16 @ 7:41 AM
JasBart
JasBart
USER since 5/10/16

Good morning, Rob Johnson and I have started the Southeastern Wisconsin Chapter of Heroes On The Water. Heroes on the Water helps our Nation’s warriors and veterans from all branches of the United States military unwind using the therapeutic qualities of fishing from kayaks. What looks like a day trip of paddling and fishing is in fact something much deeper and long-lasting.

If this sounds like something you would like being part of please watch the short video below and read our story below.

Brief overview video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcZuQXn4KSY

https://www.facebook.com/Heroes-on-the-Water-Southeastern-Wisconsin-Chapter-280162455662036/

Please visit our Facebook page, like and share us.

Founded in 2007, our unique kayak fishing program allows the participants a chance to decompress from the stresses associated with combat and the physical rigors of rehabilitation. Warriors enjoy these benefits while on guided fishing trips held in local communities around the country.

Participants receive basic kayak fishing and paddling instruction, angling clinics and paddling classes for participants with skill sets ranging from beginners to the most experienced paddlers.

The program also assists these personnel in adapting these newly developed skills to their new abilities. Adaptive kayaks, kayaking accessories and angling equipment is offered on an as needed basis to accommodate a soldier’s particular needs.

Our program is unique in that it is a long-term activity, not a one-time event. We believe that the effectiveness of the program is a direct result of engaging the wounded military personnel for the long-term.

One soldier, at the Center for the Intrepid, called what we do “Triple Therapy” or “all at once therapy.” On post he has to go to the gym for physical therapy, then go upstairs for his occupational therapy, and then go to the psychologist for mental therapy. With kayak fishing he gets it all at once - physical therapy from paddling and fishing, occupational therapy learning a lifetime sport/activity, and mental therapy from relaxing in nature with no distractions or expectations of performance.

Initially I’m setting up six kayak packages.  We are looking for equipment and monetary donations to help us expand our program and serve as many veterans as we can. If you are a business owner we will gladly promote your business through our social media pages and at events. If you send promotional material I will ensure it is put to great use.  Heroes on the Water is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization, EIN # 13-4367788.  Any support you are able to provide would be greatly appreciated.

Respectfully,

Jason Bartol

Post Your Comment
5/14/15 @ 10:21 AM
brook011
brook011
USER since 4/20/12
Yea I am pumped, I went with the road cone color, hopefully boats can see that plus the lights I got. I plan on upgrading to LED strips but wanted to have it first and situate myself. I appreciate the feedback on the dry suit. It's on my list of things I want. You're right that nothing beats the security of a good dry suit, if you fall in now you're falling into 39-43 degree water. It probably won't kill you but it will kill your day. I'm waiting on freight right now and then want to get it all rigged up and work on roof racking it. I got a Yakima boatloader which is supposed to make roof racking even the pro anglers pretty easy. Also I will gladly fish with anyone else up for going out, I would like to get a lot of practice in so I can buy into the kayak division this year in salmon-a-rama. Right now I need vhf, navi lights up front, and maybe look at some rod holder options. I have the tube style rocket launcher ram tubes but the Scotty with the arms looked awesome on Keith Gelhars native yak. Hope to see you out there too I plan on launching near the pike. It's literally 3 mins from my place.

Post Your Comment
5/14/15 @ 10:00 AM
JDT
JDT
USER since 6/7/14
Glad you went with the propel. I have used both and I am sure you will not be dissappointed. Take your time setting it up. I have the mariner. I also have a woodshop. I turned a plug out of brazilian cherry to fit the back scupper hole. upon this I mounted the transducer and run the cables under the seat. I also made platforms that attach to perfectly fitting supports that slide into the slots that are there for that purpose. Upon those I put my scotty rod holders with extensions and my locator. I added led lights and put two batteries in the front compartment. The best investment I made however is my Kokotat drysuit. Even in August I never get too hot as it is always cool right next to the water in Michigan. The drysuit gives me the confidence I need to solo out 3 to 5 miles. My boat can handle anything and as long as I stay dry, I will live through anything, short of getting run over by a big boat, which is why I am well lit and fly a tall flag and keep my co2 fog horns very handy at all times. Hope to see you out there some time.

Post Your Comment
5/12/15 @ 9:37 PM
brook011
brook011
USER since 4/20/12
I guess we'll find out pretty quickly here on the Native Propels. It was a hard decision between the Hobies and the Propels, both seem to be really good kayaks.

In the end there was alot of good feedback from everyone I talked to on the propels, especially over long distances. The better pricing and free shipping was also a huge bonus. It left me plenty of money to get a good cart, higher end PFD, good paddle, and all the stuff I need to get it setup with my lowrance and etc. I think the propel is at a disadvantage in shallow waters but I'm not afraid of paddling and then dropping the drive. The reverse function will make up for it on windy days when I want to free drift inland or hold a spot without disturbing the lakebed.

I'm curious - which rod holders are you guys using? I have some ram tubes but like the idea of a locking holder, that plus a leash/float would seem to make it pretty safe. I was going to probably try to get out there with some flicker shads and just flat troll shortly after I acclimate myself. Should be some coho out there.

Post Your Comment
5/7/15 @ 9:48 PM
Momazboy
Momazboy
USER since 6/14/10
I am seriously considering buying a yak as I also fish small rivers as well as Lake Michigan. Anyone out there have a suggestion between wilderness systems or a hobie? I am leaning towards wilderness as I like the propeller and they can go in reverse. Feedback would be appreciated.

Post Your Comment
5/3/15 @ 8:33 AM
chuckc
chuckc
USER since 3/21/14
Hey guys, do you ever get together for a fishing day ? I guess what I am looking for is somewhat of a mentor for my first kayak trip out onto the lake. I am rigging a kayak ( nope, not a Hobie) for fishing, and I have paddled kayaks for a long time, but I am still a bit concerned about going out there.

Can you maybe describe what you do ? I mean , really basic.

Do you fish during light hours or dark ? First light and last light or all day ?

Do you go miles out or just hundreds of yards ?

Are you targeting fish in < 30 feet of water or pout there in the deep ? Are you staying in and around the harbor areas ?

One rod or two ? Where do you put a fish once caught ?

A net or one of those landing aids ( can't recall the name, kinda like vice grips in their mouth).

Do you really carry a bunch of gear or just basics and fish hard with them ?

I have a ton of questions for someone who wants to help. Chuck

Post Your Comment
3/18/15 @ 1:12 PM
markrazzy
markrazzy
USER since 6/23/09
This one? Haha, awesome. Can't wait to get back out!

I'm still paddling around the tarpon until I can convince my wife to let me get a hobie... until then, tight lines!

Edited on 3/18/15 1:13 PM
Post Your Comment
3/18/15 @ 12:43 PM
MPOPP
MPOPP
USER since 3/28/11
Hey Markrazzy, that is my boat in the background!! LOL Good luck to all.

Post Your Comment
3/16/15 @ 12:10 PM
3boys
3boys
USER since 4/18/09
Howdy fellas, another from the peanut gallery to chime in. Markrazzy was right on the money about being hands free. Hi Mark!I have been fishing from my Hobie outback for 1.5yrs now, and have tried different methods and products. A hobie is hands down the best for Michigan,1.speed, your using your strongest muscles (your legs),2.durability, the mirage drive is pretty bombproof,even better now with needle bearings in it. 3. trolling is easy with hands free. I have 2 ramrod holders mounted in front of me, so I may see whats going on. I also have the larger (sailboat)rudder, easier to manuever. A lowrance depthfinder helps locate fish and depth, mounted on a ram mount. I install that just before I launch, that way it cant be stolen when I go to park my van at the lot. If you even think of fishing at dawn/dusk or night, install extra lights on your yak, in addition to regular lights. The other vessels will thank you. I have 2 waterproof dome led's on the bow powered by AA batteries. They light up everything in front of me. Carry a VHF radio with you. I believe the Coast Guard requires a visual and audio signal starting this year on yaks, dont quote me on this. Those gasketed clamshell boxes sold near the tackle boxes are great for cell phones! Invest in a great fitting PFD thats comfortable while fishing, DONT skimp!! Keep your head on a swivel, sailboats dont care about yaks. Please dress for the water not the air temp. Be safe, have fun

Post Your Comment
3/7/15 @ 8:20 PM
JamesD
JamesD
MEMBER since 2/16/04
Not the same as a kayak but here goes. Trolled diving plug on a spin rig and a flutter spoon with the lead core rod. Had a bass on the plug for a little while. This only happened because of no wind up by Death's Door. Fish finder kept me between 25- 50 feet deep.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 26 Posts