respooling downrigger wire

4/12/15 @ 10:41 AM
ORIGINAL POST
netem1
netem1
USER since 12/25/12
Tried to respool my downriggers and it was a disaster. Wire kept kinking even when I tried laying out all the new line on the line. Went fishing and lost a ball when the line broke at one of the kinks. Anyone have any tips?
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 4 of 4 Posts
4/12/15 @ 3:08 PM
netem1
netem1
USER since 12/25/12
Thanks for the tip. I'm wondering if anyone has ever found a brand that doesn't kink. The last batch was from FF and I kissed $20 or so bye bye.

Post Your Comment
4/12/15 @ 2:17 PM
Fishercreek
Fishercreek
USER since 10/2/05
Having done this a couple of times now, I find it is best that the new wire spool has to be positioned to unspool the same way the wire will go onto the downrigger spool. If the cable comes off the bottom of your downrigger spool, position the new wire so it is coming off of the bottom of the new spool. Keep the spool under tension as well.

Post Your Comment
4/12/15 @ 2:17 PM
Fishercreek
Fishercreek
USER since 10/2/05
Having done this a couple of times now, I find it is best that the new wire spool has to be positioned to unspool the same way the wire will go onto the downrigger spool. If the cable comes off the bottom of your downrigger spool, position the new wire so it is coming off of the bottom of the new spool. Keep the spool under tension as well.

Post Your Comment