Ranger boat on Lake Michigan?

2/15/15 @ 11:38 AM
ORIGINAL POST
beerbait
beerbait
USER since 1/31/05
I wanted to try fishing inland, walls, and discharges in my 17' Ranger. It is a typical bass boat low to the water. On a calm day, is this possible or a bad idea. Just casting and jigging. I was thinking about areas between Kenosha to Oak Creek. Any input or advise is appreciated.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 10 Posts
3/6/15 @ 6:57 PM
Robbollio
Robbollio
USER since 10/17/04
Lake Michigan is huge. launches are all over! Were you wana fish?

Post Your Comment
3/5/15 @ 7:19 PM
Bearfield boy
Bearfield boy
USER since 12/4/14
Where can I find a public launch and safe parking area to fish in Lake Michigan. I am interested in fishing breakwalls and areas close to shore for smallmouth bass. I do not live in Illinois but visit family there several times a year. I have a 19 ft Skeeter with a 150. Thanks.

Post Your Comment
3/4/15 @ 6:02 AM
markrazzy
markrazzy
USER since 6/23/09
Like everyone else said, pick your days. I just started fishing Lake Michigan last year in my kayak... nothing better. But, I've got to pay close attention to the forecasts.

Post Your Comment
3/3/15 @ 4:27 PM
hypovolemicshock
hypovolemicshock
USER since 6/20/11
I've seen some people out of Kenosha out in pretty small jon boats so you should be ok. Like the others said, pick your days.

Post Your Comment
3/2/15 @ 10:19 PM
smokercraft427
smokercraft427
MEMBER since 4/16/06
Make sure you have all coast guard safety equipment required for the great lakes. Watch the weather forecast, shoot for a west wind and bring your common sense. Other than that, go for it.

Post Your Comment
2/25/15 @ 11:03 PM
John.Rennpferd
John.Rennpferd
USER since 6/3/10
You could always give the area between the national street launch, and the south shore launch a try. I have seen bass boats inside the breakwalls before, it might give you a feel for what to expect in a more controlled environment.

Post Your Comment
2/16/15 @ 7:28 AM
Robbollio
Robbollio
USER since 10/17/04
I'm with denesox. I've trolled out to 60 feet in my aluminum 14 footer and had no issues. Just gotta pick your days!

Post Your Comment
2/16/15 @ 2:35 AM
Trophy_Taker
Trophy_Taker
USER since 4/27/08
My ranger 17' boat is either on the bay or lake, but then again it's a fisherman series, so a little different. But as long as the wind looks good and you check it before your trip and while you're fishing to make sure it's not going to change on you, you should be fine.

Post Your Comment
2/15/15 @ 8:02 PM
denesox
denesox
USER since 2/1/06
Dang, I didn't know ranger made a 17 footer.

As long as the conditions are good, you'll have no issues, just be smart about it. I've been out there dozens of times in 14ft boats without issue...heck, I've had my old 10ft johnboat out there a few times.

Post Your Comment