Pump handle ?'s

7/1/15 @ 8:29 AM
ORIGINAL POST
Thump55
Thump55
USER since 7/19/04
Couple quick questions on pump handle set ups: Can I run a 50' mono leader off braid to a flasher/fly and clip a 1 lb ball with the off-shore red clips (wrapping on the braid just up from the knot to the leader)? Can I get by without a snubber with the long lead? If I wanted to get this set-up down to 50', about how much line would I need out (50 lb braid)? Thanks.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 7 of 7 Posts
7/4/15 @ 8:26 AM
muskymike275
muskymike275
USER since 1/6/08
Thump,

That will work, we run our pumps like that as do many others we fish with. It certainly adds a stealth factor too.

Post Your Comment
7/2/15 @ 10:39 AM
Thump55
Thump55
USER since 7/19/04
Thanks. That's about what I thought for the line out...150' to get 50'

Wasn't sure if those red clips with the pin can handle the 1 lb ball. Have smaller boat so easier to net if I can unclip the ball.

Post Your Comment
7/2/15 @ 8:16 AM
Grey Beard
Grey Beard
USER since 1/27/02
If you are not assessing speed the 50' lead would be stealthy and setup as described would work. If you use a metal dodger vs plastic flasher you might still be able to read the rod tip to assess speed. If you could find one of the old 11" metal Abe n Al you would still be able to read the rod with a 50' lead.

I've compared bouncing the bottom with 30# 7 strand wire and 1# ball at the same time as bouncing with 40# braid and 1 # ball working 100'. It took about 10% more braid as compared to wire to keep contact.

When using a thumper my best guesstimate at 2mph sog with 30# wire you get about 40% ie 100loc down 40.

Grey Beard

Post Your Comment
7/1/15 @ 6:50 PM
Fishercreek
Fishercreek
USER since 10/2/05
Been a while since I ran a pump handle but I think it's like 2 to 1 ratio line out to depth. 100 out 50 down. Clip the ball on with no lure drop it down at trolling speed and check line out to depth of water you are in. You will know then for sure.

Post Your Comment
7/1/15 @ 12:58 PM
Thump55
Thump55
USER since 7/19/04
Thanks...I know that's the way it is normally done, but I was hoping to try a longer leader to keep the ball further away. I realize that will probably defeat some of the purpose of using the rod to gauge speed.

Post Your Comment
7/1/15 @ 11:52 AM
sslayer
sslayer
USER since 6/9/06
Use a 3-way swivel setup similar to a Wolf River Rig.

Tie the 50# braid to a snap swivel using a uni knot connect the snap swivel to one the 3-way swivels connections. Tie anywhere from one to three foot of 20# to 25# mono to another of the 3-way swivel connections and add a snap to the mono so you can change out lead balls anywhere from 1 to 2 pounds. On the remaining 3-way swivel add a snubber. Connect six to 8 foot of 20# to 30# fluorocarbon to the snubber. Add a snap swivel to the fluorocarbon.

The amount of line will vary based on trolling speed and the weight you choose.

Good Luck

SS

Edited on 7/1/15 11:55 AM
Post Your Comment