power pro line?

7/2/14 @ 9:09 AM
ORIGINAL POST
ratherbhunten
ratherbhunten
USER since 11/18/02
sorry if this has been covered but couldn't find any info I put 150 yards of 30# power pro on OKUMA MAGDA PRO MA 30DX , with it being small diameter it don't fill spool and line counter is not accurate I took 35# mono off to put this line on should I have left half the spool filled with mono and tied the power pro line to it so that the spool was full
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 7 of 7 Posts
7/3/14 @ 8:48 AM
hypovolemicshock
hypovolemicshock
USER since 6/20/11
I like the double Albright knot to connect the mono to braid.

Post Your Comment
7/2/14 @ 12:12 PM
Annes Regret
Annes Regret
USER since 7/7/11
Alberto Knot or Albright Special for splicing. Palomar Knot for tying to swivel.

That's the one I meant, the double Albright knot. Thanks for the correction. Smile

Edited on 7/3/14 2:02 PM
Post Your Comment
7/2/14 @ 11:52 AM
ratherbhunten
ratherbhunten
USER since 11/18/02
Yes first time with braided. Is there a not style that should be used to connect the two

Post Your Comment
7/2/14 @ 11:02 AM
griff n
griff n
USER since 6/17/11
Also every once in a while 150 yds can get spooled, so backing helps there also. Just make sure it's a good knot tying them together.

Post Your Comment
7/2/14 @ 10:06 AM
Annes Regret
Annes Regret
USER since 7/7/11
"I took 35# mono off to put this line on should I have left half the spool filled with mono and tied the power pro line to it so that the spool was full."

You should have left some mono on as backing. I'll hazard a guess this is your first time using power pro or not?

Very few line counters are dead nut accurate. I don't care. The point is repeatability. Lets say you let out 30 feet of line and attach to your down rigger. Catch a fish. Reset at the same number and your back in the ball park.

At some point in time you're going to notice line wear. So you cut off 10 feet. Real the line to the rod tip, zero the counter and let out 30 on the counter again. You could be off a foot or two. When fish are boat shy we lengthen the leads. For what it's worth when running flashers and fly's we run them as close as 12 - 15 feet. IMHO it's not that big a deal if the counter is off. Again it's repeatability.

Edited on 7/2/14 10:09 AM
Post Your Comment
7/2/14 @ 9:53 AM
BigMusky12
BigMusky12
MEMBER since 12/22/04
yes - your mono should have been left on as you described to provide a backing material for braid.

There are ways to calculate how much mono you need based on line diameter, etc

Post Your Comment