Need Trolling Rod Advice

3/14/15 @ 7:49 AM
ORIGINAL POST
strubedog
strubedog
USER since 12/10/02
I am new to salmon fishing and setting up the boat for it. Will do down riggers, dipsey divers and leadcore. What rods do you recommend? Can I get 9' shimano tdr rods mh for everything?
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 8 of 8 Posts
3/16/15 @ 11:26 PM
Aluma1
Aluma1
USER since 4/12/03
More small boat salmon guys are using 7 to 8 foot rods because of storage. dipsy rods still need to be fairly long and have allot of backbone. Dipsy put allot of stress on rods and are normally bent over allot thus the long rods. The ugly stick rods marked BWD work good for downriggers. You should fish with some leadcore planer board setups. Those are normally fished with rods that have large eyelets because of the knots. Ok uma makes some cheaper rods with large eyes. Shimono taloras that have the big silver eyes are great but more money. Search online for Dan Keating books. They will help you out allot starting out.

Edited on 3/16/15 11:31 PM
Post Your Comment
3/16/15 @ 6:46 PM
sslayer
sslayer
USER since 6/9/06
Hey strubedog, check your messenger, you have mail.

SS

Post Your Comment
3/15/15 @ 6:59 PM
hypovolemicshock
hypovolemicshock
USER since 6/20/11
I run 40# power pro for my dipsy rods and as backing for leadcore and copper. Riggers I use 20# big game. Debating respooling some rods this year and might buy some dyneema instead of power pro.

Post Your Comment
3/15/15 @ 7:29 AM
Tie1on
Tie1on
USER since 1/29/15
I happen to run all TDR rods. I DO NOT like the 9.5' for dipsey rods. The 8.5 work great for rigger rods. 80 pound power pro for Dipeys. 20lb Big Game on everything else.

Post Your Comment
3/15/15 @ 6:49 AM
strubedog
strubedog
USER since 12/10/02
Thanks for the responses.

What line do you use for downriggers?

What line do you use for dipsy rods?

Post Your Comment
3/14/15 @ 4:15 PM
hypovolemicshock
hypovolemicshock
USER since 6/20/11
You can get Shimano TDR's for everything but I would vary length and flex dependent on application like sslayer posted.

Post Your Comment
3/14/15 @ 10:40 AM
sslayer
sslayer
USER since 6/9/06
The Shimano TDR rods are nice low mid priced rods. I would caution you to not buy the same length and weight class rod for use with downriggers, divers or planer boards. I used the Shimano TDR rods for more than 10 years on my boat. Just do not tighten the hooks to the rod eyes for storage.

Downrigger rods are bent nearly 170° or so (loaded) most of the time they’re attached to the release, loading shortens lack line on a release maintaining hook setting. So an 8’-6” rod in a medium heavy rating with a line rating of 15 – 30 lbs works well. I always like a firmer rod to control the fish when you get them near the boat and have to steer the fish around downriggers and other obstacles. A 12 – 20 lbs rated rod just bend too easily with fish over 10#s.

Driver rods need to be longer than a downrigger rod, the extra length helps in two ways. First you’re able to get the diver further away from the boat to start with. Secondly the leader length between the diver and bait or attractor is generally kept at the overall length of the rod. So a 9’-6” rod in medium heavy rating with a line rating of 15 – 30 lbs works well.

Planer rods need to be stiffer than a downrigger rod because of the weight and pull of an in-line planer board. Reeling in an in-line planer board IMHO is easier with a rod with a strong backbone. Fighting an in-line planer board and a fish is much easier with a stout rod. So a 8’ rod in heavy rating with a line rating of 15 – 40 lbs works well.

See the attached photo.

Good Luck

SS

Post Your Comment