LAKES
REPORTS
FORUMS
TRAVEL
DEALS
SEARCH
MORE
Great Lakes Fishing

Milwaukee's or Racine, pro's and con's..

10/31/17 @ 7:18 AM
INITIAL POST
1fowl one
1fowl one
User since 12/9/10

Fairly new to the lake Michigan fishing scene here in the south eastern area. Kids are getting older, upgraded the boat and ready to make a fishing change. So looking to keep the boat on the water or in a gated pen.           I know most marinas and Club's have a waiting list and some ridiculous member fees, etc. I'm just trying to make a decision, what area to push for or get on a list.

I'm interested to hear some opinions, experiences with certain places, any issues and just plain who thinks, what area is the fishing better, consistently. Milwaukee, South shore, Racine maybe even Kenosha? It's the same drive for me between Milwaukee and Racine. 

Appreciate any info. Thanx.

Displaying 1 to 6 of 6 posts
3/1/18 @ 6:10 PM
hogdawg69
User since 6/24/09

Reef point marina in Racine hands down. And the fishing is better down there way more structure to fish

3/1/18 @ 1:35 PM
MuskyHunter
MuskyHunter
User since 6/17/01

I currently work on a charter boat down in Racine. We have a river slip. We have had 0 issues the past 5 seasons. Very easy on and off access to the boat. No need to walk hundreds of yards of pier to get anywhere. Access to private fishing cleaning facility, ice machine. Located between 2 bars/restaurants. Have had no issues with any sort of theft or anything. Fishing has been very good and quick access to the lake via the river. You can still get fireworks and festivals and such right in Racine, not to the scale of Milwaukee, but that can also be a plus. Ground 0 for Salmonarama as well.

11/12/17 @ 1:33 PM
Edward Felcohands
User since 2/24/09

I dont know details but most years south milwaukee yacht club seems to have slips open all summer.  Definitely a low key affair, different atmosphere from the other cities.  Good access to cudahy point, the boils, power plant, wind point.  I would pick milwaukee over racine for consistent fishing and a larger harbor area to fish when the big lake is rough.  Also a lot more pleasure boaty stuff to do in milwaukee, fireworks, restaurants, etc.  Independent of all other factors, if i lived south of milwaukee i would pick south shore, very easy access even when it is total gridlock down by mckinley.  

11/1/17 @ 2:23 PM
2nd shift
2nd shift
User since 8/7/15

I flipped the bill for a slip at McKinley Marina this past season and won't go back to trailering. The convenience of just getting in the boat and going fishing is awesome!  Making multiple trips a day is great because everything can be left setup for the next time out. 

I ended up in a 30 foot slip for $2,086.00 for the season.  There were no negative issues with being at McKinley.  Being in a slip gave me access to a lot of the the charter captains and hard core fishermen. They were all eager to share information and increased my success exponentially! That in itself was priceless. As far as what area is consistently better? It changed throughout the season. I chose Milwaukee because it's closest to me. If Racine was closer I'd have gone there. It's just a matter of finding the fish where you are. 

Another bonus being at McKinley is having access to a place to go for all the extra summer activities at the lakefront. I had front row parking for the 4th of July fireworks and the Air and Water Show. And even with all the things that go on down there through the summer there was never a time I couldn't get into the marina.

I'll most certainly be putting the boat back into a slip next season!

Displaying 1 to 6 of 6 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish seduced by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE