Marine radio requirements for great lakes

3/30/15 @ 2:11 PM
ORIGINAL POST
bonger
bonger
USER since 3/23/07
Just wanted to know what the cheapiest option is for the required marine radio. Will a 100 dollar portable from fleet meet the requirements? Is there a cheaper way to go? Thanks
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 4 of 4 Posts
3/31/15 @ 12:32 AM
Tie1on
Tie1on
USER since 1/29/15
Just my .02. If your just gonna harbor fish, a held held should be fine. If you are heading out into the lake any further....spend a couple hundred on a radio/ant. Mount it in the highest part of your boat you can, so if you take on water, it's the last thing getting wet. The use of smart phones in the last 5-6 years has really cut down on the fishing info, but you NEED the ability to put out that distress call fast. Mount your GPS close to it. If the situation ever comes up, LAT/LONG info is right there!

Post Your Comment
3/30/15 @ 6:13 PM
boattech
boattech
MEMBER since 12/22/04
I run a cobra handheld and could talk with someone at McKinley loading while I was 2 miles out.

Post Your Comment
3/30/15 @ 2:50 PM
BeerTownFyreman
BeerTownFyreman
USER since 6/15/01
Unless your boat is 65' long or longer, odds are a radio is not required.

Very highly suggested for safety reasons to have one. Marine radios operate on a "line of sight" theory. In other words, if you can't see it, the radio can't reach it. The higher the antenna, and the more watts it broadcasts at, the further it can reach.

A handheld is better than nothing, but if you could get an 8' antenna on a base mount radio that can broadcast up to 25 watts, the better.

http://www.uscgboating.org/images/420.PDF

Edited on 3/30/15 2:50 PM
Post Your Comment