Lake Ontario Kings

6/12/14 @ 1:29 AM
ORIGINAL POST
svitreum
svitreum
USER since 8/29/06
I am flummoxed gentlemen. Why is like everybody releasing the kings on every You-Tube video I watch and keeping Lakers? WTF? Am I missing something here?
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 2 of 2 Posts
6/12/14 @ 12:12 PM
eyecatcher84
eyecatcher84
USER since 3/19/08
This is just a stab in the dark, but Im basing it off of what I saw in Lake Ontario when I went out there last year. From my experience, Lake O seems to be absolutely loaded with lake trout. We caught a ridiculous number of them, but Kings were much harder to come by. Not only for us, but most of the other people we talked to. The general sentiment seemed to be that lakers are kind of a nuisance and people would love to see more kings...

So, my guess would be that fisherman are trying to "micro- manage" the lake on their own by weeding out some of the lakers and letting more of the kings go, in hopes that they might spawn and produce more kings. IMO this kind of stuff never really has much of an impact on a fishery as big as one of the great lakes. There are far greater forces at work than the relatively small number of fish that people catch and keep.

I also dont really believe in releasing salmon. I've tried it myself and it really doesn't work too well. They seem to just exhaust themselves too much in the fight to be revived. Especially trolling. Anyways, thats my best, completely uninformed guess. I do agree that it seems very strange...

Post Your Comment