Lake Michigan Trolling Tips and Tactics

6/23/02 @ 10:18 AM
ORIGINAL POST
Darin - Lake-Link
Darin - Lake-Link
MEMBER since 5/17/01
OK,

I am very new to the whole Lake Michigan trolling scene, did it a few times last year with little success. This year we are a little better equipped, but I still need to know some of the basics. Like typically how far behind the downrigger ball do you run the lure? How far behind a dipsy? A slide diver? What are the best trolling speeds? Still trying to figure out the whole dodger fly thing?!

I know these are pretty general questions, but I am just looking for some general guidlines. Also any "secret" tips or tactics would be greatly appreciated!

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 996 Posts
8/26/17 @ 4:24 PM
JamesD
JamesD
USER since 2/16/04

Here's 30# copper tied with an Albright  with 30# mono wrapping copper on the top, and 15# flouro in the bottom knot.

Post Your Comment
8/12/17 @ 4:45 PM
JamesD
JamesD
USER since 2/16/04
The Albright is what I use for connecting poly line backer to lead core. Slide the dacron sheath back from the lead wire core and pinch several inches of it off to tie the Albright. Same thing goes for the Willis knot for the core to flourocarbon leader connection. This knot shows up on a search but is not in the Lake-Link library The pick shows two Willis Knots. The top one was smeared with a spot of silicone caulk.

Post Your Comment
8/9/17 @ 9:22 AM
JamesD
JamesD
USER since 2/16/04

I try to inspect and change knots before a lost fish lets me know it's too late. Here are some macro pics from my waterproof olympus of some of the ones that I use most....the first: a surgeons loop of fire line used doubled for tying an Albright knot around lead core. If I make the loop big enough I use the doubled line to serve as a place to put the planer board or clamp on extra weight.

Post Your Comment
3/1/17 @ 1:08 PM
teamstratos219
teamstratos219
USER since 9/4/06

do you leave the 10 color running in the chute if you have a fish on another line?

Post Your Comment
3/1/17 @ 12:39 PM
Fish Hound
Fish Hound
USER since 1/29/02

What reel are you using? Could be to slow of a retrieval ratio if it's that bad.

Post Your Comment
3/1/17 @ 12:08 PM
lvtofish
lvtofish
USER since 2/2/05

I really like running my 10 color right behind the boat.  bad enough cranking in 10 color, then add a board to it. no thanks

never had a fish tangle in the 10 color either.  

Post Your Comment
3/1/17 @ 11:26 AM
Fish Hound
Fish Hound
USER since 1/29/02

I agree, start with braid divers with line counters, get a longer rod with the thought of eventually running wire divers "inside" your braid divers. I would suggest about 9' so you can use an 8' wire rod eventually.

In shallower water run a standard diver, like a 107 Deeper Diver, and once you get deeper switch to a larger diver, like a 124 Deeper Diver.

Post Your Comment
2/28/17 @ 4:27 PM
bass ackwards31
bass ackwards31
USER since 1/18/17

Thanks for all the help! Good to know I can run a 10 color and a dipsy. We've been slaying browns the past 2 years but not the kings. This year I hope to change that

Post Your Comment
2/28/17 @ 10:57 AM
teamstratos219
teamstratos219
USER since 9/4/06
bass - you don't need to worry too much about a dipsey fish getting tangled in a board line.  you can run a 10 color on a board next to a dipsey.  once the fish hits, the drag of the dipsey seems to guide the fish behind the boat and up towards the surface.  the dipsey drag also seems to keep the fish from swimming too much to one side or the other. i currently run the same spread you are proposing, and I'm sure i've had more rigger fish tangle in board lines than dipsey fish.  If you've never run a dipsey before, I wouldn't start with wire.  40lb braid is a nice set up for dipseys.  the braid allows you to get the depth you need with less line than mono and the no stretch insures the dipsey will trip on a strike.

Edited on 2/28/17 10:59 AM
Post Your Comment
2/27/17 @ 10:10 PM
nubbz07
nubbz07
USER since 12/31/09

The best way to run your spread is to put your baits where the fish are. So if your rigger 50 down gets bit put the dipsys 100 LOC and run 10 color. If your 5 color is hot run baits 20-30 down. There is a point we're dipsys will be running under your inside board but it all depends how far out your boards are and how far out your dipsys are. I've run 300 copper and the dipsy out 300. You will have tangles but you have to run your baits where the fish are to get bit. In my experience you get a big enough fish close to any other line it will find a way to get in the other lines. It's all part of the game.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 996 Posts