just getting set up

6/26/18 @ 1:17 PM
ORIGINAL POST
hockeyguy39
hockeyguy39
USER since 8/24/07

I think it's finally time for me to pull the trigger and hit the big pond with my own boat. I have a decent collection of spoons to start along with a couple dipseys, which I plan to use with the s-biner rig. Currently I have 3 penn 209 reels, one penn 3## (just got it, don't recall), and one abu garcia 6000. Ideally I'd like to get two more so I could run two boards and four dipseys, or two boards, two dipseys and two with snap weights, with maybe something down the chute. 

With the reels I have, I was thinking braid with mono backing. Now the question is what kind? Power Pro seems to be the king, but any opinions for Sufix 832 or Cabela's Rip Cord? Also, how big a factor is the color of the line? Cabela's has a 1500 yard spool of 40lb power pro for $92, but only red and yellow. I was thinking green would be best, but can easily be persuaded otherwise. I was leaning toward 40lb over 30lb, but is there really any reason to be concerned about 30lb braid not being sufficient?

Also, is there any issue with using 209s with lead core? 

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 18 Posts
8/14/18 @ 1:54 PM
Fish Hound
Fish Hound
USER since 1/29/02

I've seen them used but to be honest I wouldn't use them. For $25 extra each you can have a real rod holder that will last you a lifetime. Over your fishing career you'll be upgrading rod and reels but for a few extra bucks up front you should never have to upgrade your rod holders.

an example

Post Your Comment
8/14/18 @ 1:20 PM
hockeyguy39
hockeyguy39
USER since 8/24/07

OK! Scratch that thought lol.  Thanks for saving me from learning an important and expensive lesson. 

So I know, the anglers pal ones are ok though, right??

Post Your Comment
8/14/18 @ 10:07 AM
markrazzy
markrazzy
USER since 6/23/09
They work great on a kayak... But no way I'd run those in a boat unless you like losing gear, rods and reels to big kings.

Post Your Comment
8/14/18 @ 9:07 AM
Fish Hound
Fish Hound
USER since 1/29/02

Don't do it!

Post Your Comment
8/13/18 @ 3:50 PM
hockeyguy39
hockeyguy39
USER since 8/24/07

Anybody have any opinions on the RAM tube style rod holders? Aside from being made of a composite material, they seem very similar to the two Angler's Pal holders I currently have, but about half the price. Knowing the abuse they'd be subjected to (dipseys), would I just be throwing money and possibly a rod/reel combo away?

Post Your Comment
6/30/18 @ 5:27 PM
Red Rider
Red Rider
USER since 6/26/01

What is the difference between the Okuma Convectors and the Magdas?

Better drags, smoother reeling, nicer handle, imo.

Post Your Comment
6/30/18 @ 12:05 PM
diver hunter 1987
diver hunter 1987
USER since 9/29/09

When I first started going out I had 4 penn 309s and 2 of the big Cabela‚Äôs line counters.  Run 2 dipsys on 1 settings out the back 2 on 3 settings and 2 in planers either flat line or you can add an inline 1/2 or 1oz weight.  Caught a lot of fish doing this and can get baits to 50ftish.  Keep it simple at first then add a little here and there.  Out of those 6 rods try to put in 2 with flashers and run some type of orange spoon on planet and flat line.  Cohos and steelheads will be your best friends cause they seem willing to hit anything.  Once your comfortable with that setup then mix in lead,copper, riggers etc.  your ahead of curve backing with braid and the s-Biner setups.

Post Your Comment
6/29/18 @ 9:46 AM
hockeyguy39
hockeyguy39
USER since 8/24/07

What is the difference between the Okuma Convectors and the Magdas? 

Edited on 6/29/18 9:49 AM
Post Your Comment
6/28/18 @ 3:47 PM
Red Rider
Red Rider
USER since 6/26/01

Agree with Fish Hound on convectors.. with braid backing you can get a 7 color on a 30 series and have plenty of backing.

Post Your Comment
6/28/18 @ 12:25 PM
Fish Hound
Fish Hound
USER since 1/29/02

For the money I think you'll be much happier with the Okuma Convectors. Use the 30 size for riggers, divers, and small cores. Use the 45 series for 5 core and more up to 10 core or 200 copper, after that you'll need the 55 series.

Using 45's instead of the 30's for the mentioned set-ups will just cost you more line, not other advantage to going with the bigger reel.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 18 Posts