Itroll speed control

4/23/16 @ 8:45 AM
ORIGINAL POST
Grey Beard
Grey Beard
USER since 1/27/02
Anyone with experience using this device? My kicker speed control can be a challenge so interested in something that can help fine tune. I've not been able to find out much about this unit except from the manufacturers site. Sound like Trollmaster gets mixed reviews and has some issues with water resistance. The Itroll is water proof. Thanks, Grey Beard
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 10 Posts
4/29/16 @ 6:01 AM
Grey Beard
Grey Beard
USER since 1/27/02
Fish Hound,

Thanks for the info. I ordered mine and did pop for the Hunt mode. I already try to mimic some of the erratic speed Hunt mode does but not my boatmates. I figured it would be simplier to let a computor do it for me.

I checked with a few other fishing friends and frankly quite surprised how many already have a Trollmaster or other speed device in place. They never talk about it but when asked they for the most part love it and would not be without it. When I described some of the ITroll features the were quite surprised and interested. Late last summer replaced my S1000 autopilot with Lowrance's new one and so far love it. Looking forward to technology making life easier this summer.

GB

Post Your Comment
4/27/16 @ 7:18 AM
Fish Hound
Fish Hound
USER since 1/29/02
The Itroll allows you to add any feature after you have purchased the unit. If you want to keep the initial cost down you can order, install, and use the Itroll and then later add the "Hunt" feature. They simply provide you with a code that activates the software already in the unit.

After many failures with Troll Master and Control King the switch to Itroll has been worth it.

Post Your Comment
4/26/16 @ 9:32 AM
Fish Hound
Fish Hound
USER since 1/29/02
I got minewith hunt mode but never used it. The one I installed on a Honda 8hp on Sunday I recommended they order without and they did not take the option.

Post Your Comment
4/26/16 @ 6:32 AM
Grey Beard
Grey Beard
USER since 1/27/02
Fish Hound,

Do you or your friends use the Hunt mode? Your opinion whether it's worth the extra $?

Thanks,

GB

Post Your Comment
4/25/16 @ 10:59 AM
Fish Hound
Fish Hound
USER since 1/29/02
I have used the Itroll on my Yamaha T-8 for three seasons with no issue. I've installed it on a few friends boats and all have been pleased as well.

I've had many failures with the Troll Master on Control King in the past, I wouldn't recommend either of those.

Post Your Comment
4/25/16 @ 5:57 AM
mayo16
mayo16
USER since 5/23/12
I use the fish hawk. I've had it two years and never had a problem.

Post Your Comment
4/23/16 @ 1:54 PM
JerryS
JerryS
MEMBER since 7/24/09
I have used Itroll for about 1 year now on a 15 hp Yamaha 4 stroke. I am quite pleased with the unit; the control is not as sensitive as the Trollmaster. By that I mean you can make a small change with the Itroll and it will make a small change in speed. With the Trollmaster, any change seemed to move in increments that were too large resulting in a change of 200-300 rpm or more whereas the Itroll increments are in less than 100 rpm. The control box is more substantial than the Trollmaster and is said to be waterproof - I have not tried the waterproof test and hope not to.

Any questions, give me a shout.

Jerry S.

Post Your Comment
4/23/16 @ 11:26 AM
A5¢
A5¢
MEMBER since 6/15/09
The only complaint is have about the Troll Master is if you turn the rheostat too fast, it does not respond accurately. It jumps around a bit. But if it is turned slow, it works just fine. I call them and was told that is the nature of the beast. Overall, I am happy with it.

Post Your Comment
4/23/16 @ 9:41 AM
Gone 4 Now
Gone 4 Now
USER since 4/26/08
I've had I-Troll for 6 years, It works great.

Post Your Comment