Help with fish finder

7/12/14 @ 5:25 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Who Farted?
Who Farted?
USER since 5/11/09
I have a lowrance LCX-25C I was out on Thursday for my maiden voyage out of two rivers, I was messing with the finder for a while as it didn't seem to mark anything, I mostly fish Winnebago and tend to at least show surface clutter along with marks, It didn't seem to matter what I changed, is this normal on this body of water or am I missing something?
Edited on 7/12/14 5:28 PM
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 6 of 6 Posts
7/14/14 @ 3:25 PM
John Schultz
John Schultz
USER since 3/14/14
the other typical "gotcha" when going to deeper water is having the auto depth turned off and having it only looking at the top 20 or 30 feet of water. I would do what Grey Beard suggested and check for auto depth.

(608) 225-2395
Post Your Comment
7/14/14 @ 5:24 AM
Grey Beard
Grey Beard
USER since 1/27/02
You might enjoy a new unit. However you might want to be able to sell this one. Did you check your color to adjust for the deeper water. The black line may be improved with color adjustment. If not I'd still think about bad transducer and find someone nearby to try your unit on their boat.

Grey Beard

Post Your Comment
7/13/14 @ 9:23 PM
Who Farted?
Who Farted?
USER since 5/11/09
Thanks, I just looked and it was at 77% sensitivity with auto sense. Not checked, surface clarity was off and noise was set at low. Chart and ping speeds were at 100% transducer set at 200 kHz.

I was marking bottom, but it didn't look as I am used too on bago, it was just black and very thin. Guess I wasn't totally prepared for working the depths. I will have to play a little more next outing, Or tell the wife it's shot, then I can buy a new unit.

Edited on 7/13/14 9:27 PM
Post Your Comment
7/13/14 @ 5:14 AM
Grey Beard
Grey Beard
USER since 1/27/02
Did you mark bottom and did the color of the bottom look like you think is should?

I agree, first thing is to adjust your sensitivity. You should be able to crank it up into the 90s and get clutter on your screen. I do that then back it down until the clutter is still present but in a tolerable amount. Then I check the box for auto sensitivity.

I have my ping speed at 100. Noise rejection low. Surface clutter low. Fishing mode: slow troll. This was on my LCX113HD and now on my HDS10.

Keep in mind that transducers can wear out. If the above adjustments don't help find someone with the same Lowrance connections and test your unit on their boat.

Good luck,

Grey Beard

Post Your Comment
7/13/14 @ 2:41 AM
hypovolemicshock
hypovolemicshock
USER since 6/20/11
Seems strange. If it was marking bottom though I would think everything was working right. Maybe turn up the sensitivity?

Post Your Comment