Grease drag washers?

2/2/16 @ 10:02 AM
ORIGINAL POST
brtn610
brtn610
USER since 12/30/07
I'll be replacing/upgrading some drag washers with carbontex and am currently planning on greasing them. However, I'm a little concerned with the dipsy set ups in particular. Will greasing the washers promote drag creep with the heavy pull of a dipsy? What do you guys do?
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 9 of 9 Posts
5/15/16 @ 9:27 PM
Captain Andy Platko
Rough House
USER since 6/19/15

I grease all my reels with cals reel grease.  Much smoother drag vs before i greased them. 

Rough-House Charter
(724) 664-3136
Post Your Comment
3/12/16 @ 5:31 AM
B Fish
B Fish
USER since 6/26/10
Like others have said, cals reel grease makes the drag much smoother. That's what I have been doing for 30+ years and they work great for me.

So this winter when I cleaned and repaired all my reels and my buddies, they all got cal's on the drag washers. It makes them really smooth.

Post Your Comment
3/11/16 @ 5:56 PM
ditto
ditto
USER since 12/6/10
It depends upon the reel brand and the drag washers used in it. If you're using Abu or Penn reels with factory drag washers do not grease them or you'll have issues with the drag.

Post Your Comment
3/11/16 @ 5:32 PM
brtn610
brtn610
USER since 12/30/07
Thank you! That is exactly the info I was looking for.

Post Your Comment
3/6/16 @ 4:41 PM
genek.
genek.
USER since 8/20/04
I grease them. when I rebuilt my reels before I did 1 reel ungreased and one reel greased. the reel that had the greased washers was a lot smoother releasing line when it took a fish hit. neither failed. the dry washers you could see was more of a choppier release when the fish hit. I used cals grease to grease them and a super thin smear of grease. used carbon tecs also.had no problems with the drags creeping. I usually set my drags just a little beyond the creep. sometimes when I speed up or turn you will here a creep but this is from both of them not just the greased washer one.

Post Your Comment
2/3/16 @ 3:32 PM
brtn610
brtn610
USER since 12/30/07
There are plenty of forums discussing the issue. My understanding is that carbon fiber drag washers can be run dry and still perform well, but greasing them ensures that they will still perform well after getting wet, hence the reason I was planning on greasing them. However, I can't find anything discussing the topic relating specifically to dipsy rods and drag creep, so I figured I would ask.

Post Your Comment
2/3/16 @ 6:17 AM
BASSNASSN
BASSNASSN
USER since 3/31/07
I would read the new drag packaging some recommend grease and some don't.

Post Your Comment
2/2/16 @ 7:52 PM
Todd Young
Todd Young
USER since 6/25/15
I was always told to not put greese on the drag washers of reels. That may be old school thinking. Wandering what other responses you get from this question.

Muddy Creek Fishing Guides
(724) 674-3839
Post Your Comment