GPS speed vs speed at the ball

8/24/15 @ 10:35 AM
ORIGINAL POST
fishinnutinwis
fishinnutinwis
USER since 12/26/01
How can these be different when the ball is attached by wire cable ? I do not have a ball sensor so I havent seen it in action , just trying to picture it in my head. Seems the ball has to go same speed as the boat and definetly not faster because it would outrun the boat.. I can imagine heavy seas having an impact but even then doesnt the ball just follow the the boat???
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 19 Posts
9/20/15 @ 4:49 PM
JamesD
JamesD
USER since 2/16/04
This may have been discussed in the tips thread before. Bonger mentions fishing with a disc.... try adding a dodger/ fly to it. I used a fish cam connected to my downrigger ball a couple times. One thing I noticed right away was, a metal dodger works best when trolled at a certain speed. It lazily rocks back and forth if you go too slow (under 2 mph) and spins wildly when dragged too fast (over 2.5mph). If you watch the rod tips on a braid or wire dypsy or a pound ball, with a dodger flashing shallow right by the boat, you can see how speed differences look when they are telegraphed by the pulses on the tip of the fish rod. The metal dodger and fly may not catch fish but it gives you some idea of current speeds down deep. I usually fish one because I think it draws fish in to where they might see my spoons, but it doubles as a deep speed indicator for me.

Post Your Comment
9/1/15 @ 9:25 AM
bonger
bonger
USER since 3/23/07
Dont have down riggers so I was wondering what I can do to figure out the current. I have been trying to read the dipseys but some days its hard to figure out. I also go to the website that shows the current but not sure its accurate. Any advice would be appreciated.

Post Your Comment
8/27/15 @ 11:04 AM
BigMusky12
BigMusky12
MEMBER since 12/22/04
The predominant current flow on Lake Michigan is counter clockwise in the summer. You can google research to support this.

So North to South on the west shore

Edited on 8/27/15 11:04 AM
Post Your Comment
8/26/15 @ 4:54 PM
5walleyes
5walleyes
USER since 3/12/10
In the Milwaukee area, does the main lake current always run N to S or does it change down deep when the wind is from the South?

Post Your Comment
8/26/15 @ 10:35 AM
Grey Beard
Grey Beard
USER since 1/27/02
I agree with BigMusky12 that when trolling into the current GPS speed over ground is less. Sometimes when going with the current I have to push beyond 3mph to get 2mph at the ball. That always makes me nervous that I have the deeper stuff going the right speed but the shallower lead cores are moving too fast.

When I’m meandering without a target depth or way point I like to troll directly into the current. It seems to me doing so will have both sides of my spread working at the same speed. I attempt to do this by watching the angle of my center rigger cable and rigger rod. I try to get them parallel and directly behind the boat. I will also watch to see how well my Off Shore boards are lining up. In addition the pull and angle on my Dipsy rods will be similar when going into the current.

In past years when fishing was better you would see the MKE charters pick an angle into the current, typically NNE to NE. They would hold that angle as they changed depths and often not turn on fish figuring they had the right angle and more fish would be coming. That works well in open water but when fishing the structure on the Racine hills, they affect current more and not as effective until beyond the 3rd hill.

Grey Beard

Post Your Comment
8/26/15 @ 9:52 AM
BigMusky12
BigMusky12
MEMBER since 12/22/04
going into the current allows you to troll at a slower GPS surface speed because the current imparts action on your lures. I am commonly below 2 GPS speed when going into current and commonly above 2.5 GPS speed when trolling with current.

Regardless of whether fish are in a river or open body of water they are going to face into the current because it brings food to them. I have always done best trolling across the current and is one of two reasons I try to troll in a serpentine fashion as much as possible. Serpentine trolling patterns also allow baits to change levels and speed in water column.

Post Your Comment
8/26/15 @ 8:44 AM
lvtofish
lvtofish
USER since 2/2/05
2nd shift I am not sure you are right about that.

in my experience fish generally feed with the current on open bodies of water. walleye and salmon in my experience.

river fishing is different and then I would agree with you.

plus going into the current on lake michigan requires you to go much faster, closer to 3 or higher, than I like to run. just puts to much pressure on the all the gear. drags need to be tighter, which I don't like.

anyone else have any thoughts?

Post Your Comment
8/25/15 @ 9:36 PM
2nd shift
2nd shift
USER since 8/7/15
Fish generally face into the current. So if you troll against the current you'll be coming up behind them. Trolling with the current they get to watch you coming.

Post Your Comment
8/25/15 @ 7:33 PM
nubbz07
nubbz07
USER since 12/31/09
So is it normally better to troll into, across, or with current? I've always known that the current affects your baits but never thought about fish orientation.

Post Your Comment
8/25/15 @ 2:03 PM
Grey Beard
Grey Beard
USER since 1/27/02
Big Musky12,

I agree with your train of thought. If no change in rpms to keep Depth Raider at 2 mph regardless of direction one would assume no current.So if no current nothing for fish to align with. And lure action should be the same regardless of direction.

Grey Beard

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 19 Posts