fishhawk addition

1/28/18 @ 10:37 AM
ORIGINAL POST
fishinnutinwis
fishinnutinwis
MEMBER since 12/26/01

I am thinking adding a fishhawk would be a good addition to my boat ... still a rookie but really enjoy going when I can with family and would like to increase chances of targeting productive water ... I am leaning towards the bluetooth model ... any input welcome , and do these ever go on sale , best prices ?? seem only avail at 750 -800 ... 

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 12 Posts
2/7/18 @ 1:38 PM
X-Ray
X-Ray
USER since 3/30/15

have you had a look at these?

http://www.smarttroll.com/

Post Your Comment
2/7/18 @ 1:12 PM
fishinnutinwis
fishinnutinwis
MEMBER since 12/26/01

Im really set on the fishhawk  .. just need to decide between bluetooth or not ... x4 or x4d 

Post Your Comment
2/1/18 @ 7:22 PM
RodBend'r
RodBend'r
USER since 5/19/04

It's a story teller.....  No more.   

Do I like mine?  You bet!  But, don't get hung up on it with temp. and speed.   Your sonar and gps are still the best fishing tools on your boat.  I've caught tons of fish "out of temp".  And for speed at ball...  it's nothing more than trying to be consistent, bite for bite on that particular day.  Everyday is a little different.  

Post Your Comment
2/1/18 @ 2:09 PM
eyecatcher84
eyecatcher84
USER since 3/19/08

Interesting stuff... I was concerned about interference when I bought my FishHawk, but have never experienced any. I run a hummingbird 1199HDSI off one side of my transom and the FishHawk transducer on the other. Can't be more than 4-5ft apart though... I have never changed the settings on my bird, but curious what frequency its running at now.

Post Your Comment
2/1/18 @ 12:31 PM
X-Ray
X-Ray
USER since 3/30/15

I have a depth raider, done cheaply via ebay etc.  Anyway, there are few possibilities as to why the fish finder transducer is picking up the fishhawk signal (i.e. interference).  On the fish finder  it may not have adequate filtering.  They all have some form of bandpass filtering both at the transducer level and at the electronic level when they do the A-D conversion.  The fishhawk transmit transducer may not have all that clean of a signal or there is variation.  Both transducers at the receive side likely use the same technologies and therefore have similar sensitivities. The probe itself is very low powered compared to the sonar transmit on the fish finder. Hence, we have similar signal levels coming from the probe and the echos (returns like bottom and fish)) from the sonar. Echos are always low power like the probe.  Even though the bulk of the transmit power is at 70MHz, there may be side bands at the sonar transducer frequency.  It could also be a grounding problem on either the fishhawk or sonar side.  In other words, the electrical signal from the fishhawk may be getting into the sonar circuit due to poor grounding.  Lastly, it could also be a cable length problem.  It is called cable mode.  It could be resonating and dumping signal into sonar side.  The only things you can really do are make sure you are grounded well and maybe change cable lengths.  You could try another probe or sonar transducer or head unit, but that is expensive.

Post Your Comment
2/1/18 @ 11:40 AM
Algomaskeeter
Algomaskeeter
USER since 5/31/17

That’s interesting Fish Hound, it’s the 200 kHz setting on my hummingbird helix that gets fouled up. I have to go to, I think it’s  50, to lose the interference Transducers are as far away fro each other as I can make work  

Despite what the Mfr. says, the interference is real and despite this experience, I still recommend the Fish Hawk every chance I get. 

Post Your Comment
1/31/18 @ 10:40 AM
Fish Hound
Fish Hound
USER since 1/29/02

It interferes with my Raymarine  when I run on the 50kHz as well. I have to keep it in 200kHz which gives you a much smaller cone angle.

They say mount the transducers as far away from each other as possible, my boat has 10'-6" beam and they are on opposite corners.

From Fish Hawk:

Q: Will my depth finder(s) interfere with the Fish Hawk X4?

A: No, The Fish Hawk X4 operates at unique frequency of 70 kHz. Most depth finders run at 200 kHz or a combination of 200 kHz/50KHz or 200 kHz/83KHz. The X4 will not get interference from any 200 kHz transducer, even if the transducers are mounted side by side. If you have a dual beam transducer, mount the X4 transducer as far from the dual-beam transducer as is practical. We've never found a boat that the X4 would not work on.

Edited on 1/31/18 10:43 AM
Post Your Comment
1/31/18 @ 7:08 AM
fishinnutinwis
fishinnutinwis
MEMBER since 12/26/01

Bummer about interference... fishhawk claims it wont happen due to their frequency ... anyone else have that issue ...i have humminbird 858chd

Post Your Comment
1/30/18 @ 9:47 AM
Algomaskeeter
Algomaskeeter
USER since 5/31/17

Agree with other posters, it’s worth every penny that it costs. I won’t go out without one and I’ve only been at this for two years. I have the Bluetooth one and it works flawless EXCEPT: 

Occasionally the Fishhawk appears to interfere with my hummingbird locator. I can fix this by switching the frequency to a lower one, and then it works fine, but it’s kind of a pain to lose the HD scan on the graph. 

Post Your Comment
1/29/18 @ 8:38 AM
CCA
CCA
USER since 6/19/01

Agree, Fishhawk or similiar units will help you put more fish in the boat and finding pockets of cooler water in mid-summer is key to salmon fishing. I have had both the Moor Subtroll and Fish Hawk . I prefer Fishhawk due to not having a coated cable, they are a pain.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 12 Posts