Fish Hawk

4/10/14 @ 7:55 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Lund forever
Lund forever
USER since 1/21/08
For the occasional angler for salmon, would the fish hawk depth temp gauge be help? Hate to spend the $$$$ for the speed part. Anyone use one of these? Lund
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 5 of 5 Posts
5/11/14 @ 3:44 PM
Grey Beard
Grey Beard
USER since 1/27/02
Lund forever

I’ll bet you are just like the rest of us; we like to maximize our catch and don’t think enhancing our efforts with electronics is cheating. Because there is almost always a down current I think down speed is the most useful of all. Exception might be when someone calls on the radio and tells you location, depth, lure, SOG and compass heading. When’s the last time that happened?

I’m on Depth Raider’s prostaff so……. That being said no matter what you buy your catch rate will go up. I run my probe on my shallow rigger because it won’t be in danger of catching the bottom and less blowback. I always run a lure off that rigger if there are enough fishermen. When I set or retrieve the out and down probe rigger I turn the rigger to a 45 angle as this reduces the stress on the coated cable. I run Big Jon’s that have nice big rollers but some other brands have smaller rollers and harder on coated cable. My cable is around 6yr old and still fine.

Good luck with your long term investment.

Grey Beard

Post Your Comment
5/11/14 @ 1:25 PM
Loose Drag Fishing
Loose Drag Fishing
MEMBER since 4/8/11
I have been using a Fish Hawk for the past few years. Spend the money for it and you will be done. Your catch ratio will dramatically increase. The temp is important, but in my opinion the speed is the most important. I use Big Jon riggers and use the same cable that came with the riggers. Knock on wood, I have never lost a probe yet. This year I went to the Fish Hawk X4+Depth. Yes I run lines off the rigger with the probe attached.

Post Your Comment
5/11/14 @ 7:10 AM
Rhino46
Rhino46
USER since 7/18/11
Alright, I just made the purchase of a Fish Hawk X4D. Really excited to try it out. Does anyone know if there is a certain type or brand of downrigger cable to use on the rigger that will have the probe attached? I'm a little paranoid that I will lose the probe. Also, does anyone run a line off of the same rigger as the probe? Any other suggestions for use of this unit would be appreciated.

Post Your Comment
4/10/14 @ 8:44 PM
justducky81
justducky81
USER since 7/7/10
Buy a Depthraider or Fishhawk with downspeed. Spend the money once and never look back. I had fished years without one, and since I have put one on, I have put a lot more fish in the boat. I am partial to Depthraider, great service from Kurt, the owner and they are out of WI. Matt

Post Your Comment