SEARCH
MORE
Great Lakes Fishing

Electric down riggers

12/11/17 @ 7:36 PM
INITIAL POST
bass ackwards31
User since 1/18/17

Looking to buy electric down riggers for next season. What does everyone suggest for which ones to buy? 

Displaying 1 to 15 of 16 posts
3/8/18 @ 8:54 AM
MuskyHunter
MuskyHunter
User since 6/17/01

I used to run mans, now I have electric and I will not go back! Big Jon all the way.

1/20/18 @ 8:04 PM
Fishlaw007
User since 12/30/14

Traxtech is the one you want, if you can afford them--they are pricey.  I upgraded from manual to electric a few years ago.  I wanted to be able to fish down to 450', and most riggers will not handle the necessary weight.   I had traxtech add 500' of cable to the one I bought. To fish deep I use a 24# weight and the rigger handles it.  It has a lighted screen which is great for night fishing.  It has a jigging function.  You can drop the ball to the depth you want and then tell it to raise the ball between 1 and 10 feet and keep it raised for 1-10 minutes.  Then it lowers it back down until another time interval passes and raises it up again.  Every part of the unit is machined metal--no plastic except the control panel.

For a second, cheaper, rigger with max depth of 150', I looked at everything else on the market.  I rejected Scotty because they use a rubber belt for the drive system.  The cheaper Cannons all have plastic spools on them.  I had a manual Big Jon which snapped the boom off in rough water, so I did not consider them.  I ended up buying a Walker.  The Walker works alright, although it is a bit clunky.  It sounds like a child's big wheel when the spool turns. The thing that bothers me the most about the Walker is that you have to crimp magnets on the cable to trip the automatic shut off when the ball is retrieved. Since the shallower rigger is the one which carries the subtroll probe, I worried that the shut off might fail, pull the rig out of the water, break the cable and send the subtroll probe to the bottom.  That has not happened, but I am always close to the Walker when it retrieves the weight in case it goes wrong.  Having to stay close to the rigger while it is working somewhat defeats the point of having an automatic raise function.

I intend to replace the Walker with another traxtech this year.

1/13/18 @ 2:32 PM
bass ackwards31
User since 1/18/17

Slammertime sent you a message 

1/4/18 @ 4:50 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

Ah, Touche!

All in jest.

1/4/18 @ 4:02 PM
bass ackwards31
User since 1/18/17

Bugletrout that’s a bit different of an argument. I can still get to 100fow with manuals or electrics but I can’t shoot my compound at 100 yards like a crossbow. I don’t see the relationship there lol

1/4/18 @ 1:44 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

Interesting that there aren't any purist calling electric downrigger users Nancies and Sally's for not doing it the hard way.  Guess that only happens on the Archery Forum. LOL!

Yank!

1/4/18 @ 10:04 AM
bass ackwards31
User since 1/18/17

Slammertime I am very interested. I’ll shoot you a message 

1/3/18 @ 11:52 AM
slammertime1
User since 1/14/15

If your interested I have 2 mag 10s that have not seen much use for sale. Asking 500.00 for both. A friend of mine bought them but never had time to get out much.

1/2/18 @ 6:14 PM
Annes Regret
User since 7/7/11
Big Jon's.
12/14/17 @ 2:30 PM
Fish Hound
User since 1/29/02

If I were buying new there is no question I would go with Magnum Metalz downrigger's.

12/13/17 @ 7:10 PM
TrophyConnection
User since 2/18/04

Metalz magnum downriggers are possibly the best downriggers on the market I would look into them. Here is a picture of them just good quality

12/11/17 @ 10:19 PM
Fisher123
User since 7/6/06
Yep. There is an isolator inline with the cable. When the isolator breaks the surface, it stops. They are a very fast rigger, so a solid mount is required. That is why we run the snubber. It acts as the isolator to stop the rigger, and takes alot of the shock out when it stops. 
12/11/17 @ 9:37 PM
bass ackwards31
User since 1/18/17

Auto stop just stops the ball at the surface? I have used manuals my whole life so I am just trying to learn what they all do

12/11/17 @ 8:45 PM
Fisher123
User since 7/6/06
We run the cannon mag10 stx. We have had no issues or anything, and the auto stop works great. We did add scotty downrigger snubbers to reduce shock when the ball stops at thw surface. 
Displaying 1 to 15 of 16 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
ice drilled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE