Down rigger location

5/4/14 @ 10:11 AM
ORIGINAL POST
THE QUEENMARY GROUP
THE QUEENMARY GROUP
USER since 6/8/02
Hello, I own a 18' starcraft aluminum boat. I have 2 short arm cannon downriggers 1 on each side of the boat toward the back. I bought 2 long arm big john downriggers and was wondering if anybody can give me some suggestions on where to mount these extra 2 downriggers. I would love to mount these straight out the back on each side but in this case the end of the rigger will be right in line with the motor. Will this be a problem with the cables hitting the prop or will I be ok? The other option might be on the sides with the short arm riggers. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you! Mike
Edited on 5/4/14 10:14 AM
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 10 Posts
7/11/16 @ 5:40 PM
Daddy's Dream
Daddy's Dream
MEMBER since 7/28/03

I run 4 riggers on my 18 ft. Mirror Craft. As u can see in the pic there's plenty of room to land the fish on the starboard side. I'll swing the corner riggers out or up if it's empty and move the rod to a different holder. Swivels are very helpful in the corners. I run long arms out the back as well and haven't had any issues with the motors. Hope this helps.

Post Your Comment
7/10/16 @ 6:03 PM
Valkyrie
Valkyrie
USER since 6/30/15

I have an alumacraft that I had a couple brackets fabricated to give a nice DR mounting location in rear corners. I got a couple cheap used big jon's. The 4 ft boom and swivel base allows me to swivel to sides if needed.

Post Your Comment
7/9/16 @ 6:07 PM
Shellfish
Shellfish
USER since 7/19/03

I have been running 4 riggers off small boats for years with no problems.

Two short arms off the back corners, two long arms off the side gunnels.

The side gunnel riggers need to be close to the transom of the boat but still enough room to use the rear corner riggers easily. 

You need to have enough pole holders that when a fish is hooked up and someone is fighting the fish, someone else can move the stern poles to positions away from the stern of the boat.  Thus opening up space to net the fish.  Return poles to previous positon when the fish is netted.  This is easier than it sounds.  

If a starboard side rigger goes off and the rear starboard corner rigger pole is right in front of you, I just move the pole to the far port side.  I don't release it and I don't raise the rigger.  The whole rear starboard corner and end of the boat is clear to net your fish.  Now the person on the pole and the person at the wheel must do their part and it should lead to a successful netting of the fish.

Good fishing! Shellfish

Post Your Comment
7/9/16 @ 8:22 AM
diver hunter 1987
diver hunter 1987
USER since 9/29/09

Forgot to add there is a strip of 1/2 inch plywood under the gunwales.  Is more of a backer needed?

Post Your Comment
7/8/16 @ 3:48 PM
diver hunter 1987
diver hunter 1987
USER since 9/29/09

More of a question on mounting instead of location   I was going to mount a 12in rail off the side/back of my 2014 Starcraft 176sc   I was wondering since I can't get to the underside of I should install well nuts, toggle bolts, or ??? To help insure the screws don't pull   Also was thinking of going with the cannon tracks and swivel 4in raised down rigger base.  Anybody use this setup?  Down rigger is a cannon uni troll

Post Your Comment
5/14/14 @ 4:43 AM
MuskyHunter
MuskyHunter
USER since 6/17/01
I disagree. I fish all the time in a 17 and 19ft that both have 4. 2 out the back on long arms and 2 off to the side on each corner. Focus on what you are doing and landing a fish isn't all that hard.

Post Your Comment
5/13/14 @ 8:47 PM
boscrowe
boscrowe
USER since 2/28/09
Keep the rear end open . 2 is max from a boat that size.

Post Your Comment
5/13/14 @ 12:41 PM
KDOGG
KDOGG
USER since 9/17/03
I also have a 18' starcraft and run just the long arms off the sides. I would ditch the cannons and put the big jons in their place. In my opinion, having 4 downriggers on a boat like that is asking for trouble. Too much at the back of the boat to get tangled up. Having the riggers straight out the sides keeps the back of the boat nice and open for netting fish, especially when you need to work around and outboard.

Post Your Comment
5/4/14 @ 6:29 PM
amstel239
amstel239
USER since 12/28/01
I have two long arm Big Jon's off the back. And two short arms off the side. My long arms are on swival bases(well worth the money) and allows me to angle them away from the motor. Works great no problems.

Post Your Comment