Dos and Don'ts

8/18/15 @ 3:26 PM
ORIGINAL POST
hockeyguy39
hockeyguy39
USER since 8/24/07
My neighbor's son invited me out fishing on Saturday, and I gladly accepted. He's got a great boat with all the toys, so I figured we were in for a good time. Well, it was fun, but we didn't catch anything. I noticed a few things that I have to question though. I wasn't going to tell the captain of his own boat he's doing it wrong since I am FAR from being an expert, but I spend enough time on LL reading things that I like to think I have a pretty decent handle on things. With that said, I'd like opinions on if his practices make sense. 1) Leadcore attached directly to dipseys? 2) Using leadcore with boards and attaching the clip directly to the leadcore? 3) Using a flasher in front of a spoon? 4) With downriggers, being more concerned with the reel counter than with the depth of the ball?
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 7 of 7 Posts
8/30/15 @ 2:28 PM
JamesD
JamesD
USER since 2/16/04
A big second to Ivtofish's post about going out on a charter. Some people have problems reading instructions that come with gear like dypsies and they end up putting a snubber on the front and then hookup high drag stuff behind the disc and think the depth curve will stay the same (it won't). Seeing how things work firsthand from someone catching fish every day is the way to learn what helps in your own boat. There is some good info in the "Tips"thread about lead core line. "Don't clip boards directly to lead core".

Post Your Comment
8/24/15 @ 5:25 AM
Annes Regret
Annes Regret
USER since 7/7/11
3) Using a flasher in front of a spoon? It's been done before and sometimes it works. 4) With downriggers, being more concerned with the reel counter than with the depth of the ball? You'll have to explain. I look at the reel counter to adjust my lead.

Post Your Comment
8/20/15 @ 3:36 PM
lvtofish
lvtofish
USER since 2/2/05
sounds like your neighbor's son should do a charter. great way to learn a ton quickly.

Post Your Comment
8/18/15 @ 9:13 PM
hypovolemicshock
hypovolemicshock
USER since 6/20/11
1. Can't see any reason to run leadcore with a dipsy. Like others have said maybe it was a wire diver. 2. I run a small stretch of mono on my leadcore to attach my board to. Some people will attach the board to the leadcore but, from what I have read, this may wear on the leadcore. 3. I have run flashers in front of spoons but run a pretty long lead to the spoon. Has caught some nice kings for me but I don't do it often. 4. The first thing I am concerned with when setting my downriggers is my line counter on the reel. I try to make sure things are staggered and the right distance back. After that it is all about the counter on the downrigger and how much I feel the blowback is effecting the actual depth to get my presentation where I want it.

Post Your Comment
8/18/15 @ 5:52 PM
Fishin AGAIN!!
Fishin AGAIN!!
USER since 11/20/14
I agree with muskie. Keep in mind sat was a pretty tough day for most boats. A very long morning trip only produced one laker and the pm trip only 3 fish for our boat.

Post Your Comment
8/18/15 @ 4:08 PM
BigMusky12
BigMusky12
MEMBER since 12/22/04
1) are you sure it was lead core and not stranded wire? 2) no impact on catch rate. Most won't do it because board can wear out leadcore. 3) I have heard of flashers in front of spoons...I dont run paddle flasher in front of a spoon but will put a rotator sometimes. 4) Alot of people won't even use line counters on down riggers if that answers your question. Line Counter is to get leader length from ball consistent, but counter on rigger should tell you depth. Blow back will add variability to that number though, especially depending on current and weight of rigger ball.

Post Your Comment