DIY introducing the " Norwegian Engineered Release Disk " or NERD

6/1/14 @ 7:49 AM
ORIGINAL POST
boscrowe
boscrowe
USER since 2/28/09
We'll with all of the dipsy talk yesterday and me being on call and not able to fish I had some time to go into the lab and work on a diver that will hopefully solve some problems . I'm not going to take all the credit for this design because it originates from a post and also a DIY tip sent into GLA by Grey beard . In tests in the backyard pond it looks to be performing the same exact way that a store bought Dipsy does( that is the dive and steer ) I used lexon for the disk . A offshore tackle release clip Small piece of aluminum from menards 1/4" c channel # 4 1/2" long bolt and nut then applied some lok tight 1/8" rivet X 1/4" long And a dipsy has approximately 4 oz of lead so it seams that 2x catfish disks worked well Make sure you assemble the clip and fin first and then put it on the disk . The clip is set @ a 72* angle .
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 5 of 5 Posts
7/2/14 @ 1:38 PM
boscrowe
boscrowe
USER since 2/28/09
Update on the NERD . As Grey Beard said orange clip was the way to go . I should have listed to him right off the bat . Since using them I have had 3 fish on lost one because of user error and boated two others . One of them was a 4lbs coho that triped it just like it should .

Post Your Comment
6/3/14 @ 6:57 PM
boscrowe
boscrowe
USER since 2/28/09
Thanks for the generous words of encouragement . The weights are moved to the different pegs to change the direction. The same way a dipsy diver does but at the" experimental stage " I wasn't able to make it turn as quickly . But when the weights are moved the direction of the NERD moves accordingly. As for when dropped it will hit the fish in the face . The clasp is small enough that it will stop at the flasher or dodger . So I guess that if I were to rig it with a clean spoon the yes it would hit the fish in the face . In tests that I've done with the clip release tension the medium will work just fine and if it doesn't for now I'm going to simply but a little rubber band that my daughter uses for her hair just over the top of it after I put the line in .

Post Your Comment
6/2/14 @ 5:04 AM
Grey Beard
Grey Beard
USER since 1/27/02
Despite the pictures and description I’m not sure how your disc works. It looks like once the line is released from the pad it will slide back and bop the fish on the nose. I assume you will have a stopper before the fish. The OR 14 black clip is medium tension and likely to release from the water pressure when deploying. You might try the orange OR 19 heavy tension clip.

Curious how this is a directional diver if the disc weights are one on each side?

If any of you saw what I sent to GLA I’m still experimenting. My goal was to get something like the slide diver for stealth but not have to stay rigged to a rod. Since then I’ve added a dropper loop knot 30’ out and then put the loop into the front of the dipsy to which I’ve added an OR16 red pad release with center pin. The dropper knot keeps the dipsy from sliding on the braid. On the rear I have an Orange OR19. This is working well with a small dipsy for coho. We will be experimenting more once the fish go deeper and I move up to the regular sized dipsy.

Good luck with your experiments

Grey Beard

Post Your Comment
6/1/14 @ 7:50 AM
boscrowe
boscrowe
USER since 2/28/09
More pictures

Edited on 6/1/14 7:57 AM
Post Your Comment