Dipsey divers and planer boards

4/19/15 @ 11:37 PM
ORIGINAL POST
3boys
3boys
USER since 4/18/09
Evening gents, another newbie questions. Can you put any setup on a dipsie diver or only certain things. Ie: dodger and flashers, only to lures? Planer boards, can only certain setups with as well, ie: can you put dipsy divers on a planer board or only lures? Are these two set up specific, what works well on them. I did buy a planer board today to try for the first time. As many of you guys know, Im a trolling newbie,appreciate all comments and tips,tight lines gents.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 7 of 7 Posts
4/22/15 @ 9:18 AM
fishmunkee
fishmunkee
USER since 3/20/02
1/4 - 1 oz. You can use slip sinkers if you don't want to invest in keel weights.

Post Your Comment
4/22/15 @ 9:14 AM
Lund forever
Lund forever
USER since 1/21/08
What size keel weight do you recommend on the board rig with a 00 dodger and fly for Coho? Lund

Post Your Comment
4/21/15 @ 8:11 AM
John Schultz
John Schultz
USER since 3/14/14
I mostly run flasher/fly or brads cut plugs on my dipsys, but will sometimes run spoons, and will run plugs in fall. On my boards I stick to spoons or small dodger/fly on the shorter cores. On my bigger core setups and copper, I will run flasher/fly, brads, or spoons.

For full core and big copper, I run the TX-44 boards. Smaller core and short copper I run on the standard off-shore walleye boards.

(608) 225-2395
Post Your Comment
4/21/15 @ 7:46 AM
fishmunkee
fishmunkee
USER since 3/20/02
You can run a dipsy off a board but you need a pretty big board (i.e. TX-44) to pull it. Not a common set up but possible. I would not bother getting that complicated if just getting started.

Post Your Comment
4/20/15 @ 10:54 AM
Granpa
Granpa
USER since 2/4/05
Just one comment in case you are completely new to dipsys. You can not run any kind of deeper diving crankbaits behind them as they will pull down on the back of the dipsy and they will not stay down. Shallow runners like floating Rapalas would work OK.

Post Your Comment
4/20/15 @ 3:10 AM
Tie1on
Tie1on
USER since 1/29/15
Dipseys can be used for just about everything. When running spoons off of them, I like to run a 7-8' leader behind them after the snubber. You can run "00" (red/orange) sized dodger behind them with peanut flies as well for Coho, bows, and the Kings will even hit them too. Planer boards...depending what ya got, and what you wanna run, endless possibilities. Pretty common practice in the spring for Coho, is the same "00" dodger as above, behind a Keel weight 4-5'. Let out your set-up 50+-, clip on the board and then let it out to desired distance to the side. I see you've been playing with leadcore on a couple posts you had. That is NORMALLY run off planer boards. You can get away running straight behind your boat, but it will likely tangle wen you get a fish on, with any other line you're running unless you're real careful. If would really help you out to go out with someone for 1 trip and see everything in action! Maybe someone will offer. It's gonna be a few weeks till I run, but you're more than welcome to check it out with me when I do get out!

Post Your Comment