dipsey colors

6/4/14 @ 5:01 PM
ORIGINAL POST
daleracefan
daleracefan
MEMBER since 3/27/02
Do you guys have a preference on color? I run clear and some that are blue and green, than usually 6'-7' leaders.
Edited on 6/4/14 5:01 PM
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 5 of 5 Posts
6/6/14 @ 1:52 PM
sslayer
sslayer
USER since 6/9/06
If it’s stealth you’re looking for remember that there are vibrations given off from water turbulences created by pulling the diver during trolling. So ANY diver will be more likely to spook a fish off than the color it is. To this point a “Slide Diver” offers the highest level of stealth possible for a diver due to the unlimited leader length choices a guy can try. Leadcore and copper lines fished with in-line planer boards offer the ultimate in stealth.

If you’re concerned about choosing a particular color that will attract more fish it’s hard to beat an all orange driver. Cohos and rainbows are known to be attracted to orange. My biggest King, 31#s, came on an all orange dipsy with a 8” orange snubber fished about 20 feet down pulling a glow spoon before 6 AM. So Kings like orange too or aren’t turned away by the color. Remember orange truly appears as the color is exhibits above the water to a depth around 40 feet, after which it appears gray. So an orange diver color becomes a “neutral” color below 40 feet. See the attached light penetration color chart.

The best color orange I’ve found is a deep fluorescent orange/red called “Rocket Red”. Paint the entire dipsey and try to avoid painting the release arm and swivels.

Yeah I’ve got Black and Clear divers and caught fish on them too, for a few years I always ran one orange and one chartreuse dipsy. But if you’re using orange divers you’re going to catch fish. Your catch rate will go up depending upon your bait selection, presentation, i.e. trolling speed, and technique, i.e. leader lead, all of which are tactics you learn by experience.

Choosing a diver these days I like the Walker Deeper Diver in the 107mm size, it’s roughly the size of a #1 dipsy with the ring on, lead length from 5 to 8 feet. If using flasher/fly or dodger/fly combo keeping the lead near 5 feet will produce the best action, longer leads makes these presentation spin instead of kicking and darting. For stealth or fishing the shallow water I like the standard size Slide Diver, no added ring and a lead from the diver to a spoon or J-Plug of 75 to 100 feet.

For line I like 50# super braid in gray. 30# wire is good too but can be a little much for the beginner.

Good Luck

SS

Post Your Comment
6/5/14 @ 9:46 PM
Red Rider
Red Rider
USER since 6/26/01
Krylon flat black is my best, metallic deep purple is second.

Post Your Comment
6/5/14 @ 9:41 AM
Fish Hound
Fish Hound
USER since 1/29/02
I use black 124mm Deeper Divers on the wire (inside) and clear 124mm on the braid divers.

I also use about a 12' leader...... not the most fun to deal with but it sure as improved our bites!

Post Your Comment
6/4/14 @ 9:04 PM
vetting82
vetting82
USER since 2/23/11
I use clear Walker (think they are fish hawk now) divers. I use the larges size and the one size down in the spring. With wire you can get them really deep. I've gone to 12 foot leaders now. With a bigger deck I can have whoever bring the fish in to raise the rod and just walk back towards the wheel. I think the longer leader really helps with the fish count.

Post Your Comment