SEARCH
MORE
Great Lakes Fishing

Depth Raider Installation

2/12/18 @ 2:10 PM
INITIAL POST
Bullman
User since 4/10/15

I am going to purchase a Depth Raider and wanted to know if the installation is very difficult. Also, is there a disconnect for when removing the down rigger from the boat? After all the posts I have read, this seems like one of the most important items to have on boat.

Displaying 1 to 12 of 12 posts
5/1/18 @ 6:04 AM
Bullman
User since 4/10/15

Has anyone mounted their display for the Depth raider on a Ram Mount? I have been trying to contact the manufacturer of Depth Raider, Kell Industries, Ram, and Cabela's and have not been able to find a model designed for this. Worst case I guess would be to buy one and just modify it with a new set of mounting holes, unless someone else has a suggestion.

2/17/18 @ 9:26 PM
X-Ray
X-Ray
User since 3/30/15

For the probe in the attached photo, to the right is the ball and to the left is pulley on the tip of the downrigger arm.

For the antennae in the attached photo, to the right is the downrigger spool and to the left is the pulley on the tip of the downrigger arm.

2/17/18 @ 8:56 PM
Aluma1
User since 4/12/03

The probe gets hooked up to your rigger with the non all metal side. The top is the smaller metal arm with the plastic square coming out of the probe. You want to leave the bottom metal exposed for grounding purposes. I hang a weight on the probe. Then tape the top connection point with the thick rubber waterproof self sticking tape. You can get that tape at hardware stores. I always ran the antenna with the base mounted toward the downrigger reel. The unsupported end of the antenna toward the pully. Normally you just have the wire though the middle. Under use it tends to hit somewhat. For the health of the coated cable you do not want to run it right on the antenna.

2/17/18 @ 5:31 PM
muskymike21
User since 2/15/17

I just picked up a used depth raider too, no instructions so sorry if these questions are pretty easy...  Does the direction matter for mounting the receiver coil on the downrigger? How tight is the down rigger line supposed to be against that coil? Should there be tension against the coil, or just so it goes through it easily? Also, when connecting the probe does top or bottom matter? Any other tips for a good installation are appreciated!

2/15/18 @ 6:12 PM
Aluma1
User since 4/12/03

I think they have added more electric filters since I bought mine. Mine would not work when I had my tr1 gold autopilot on. I added a filter which helped on my last boat. The problem reappeared on my new boat. I just picked up one of those little 12 volt batterys. Around 25 bucks. Have not had any interference issues since then. Just charge up the battery every few trips. The power and connecter from the antenna plugs into the back of the display. I have track system on my boat. I used one of traxtech multipurpose plates to mount the display. Easy on and off that way. My electric downriggers can be hard on the coated cable. Maybe ever other year I will cut 10 feet off and redo. Kind of a good wear spot above the probe. That’s where the bend going into the pulley is. When the weight is all the way in.

2/14/18 @ 1:54 PM
Bullman
User since 4/10/15
Thanks Luck Lou, Big Musky and Xray. I appreciate your input. I won't get to start working on it until getting the boat out of storage, but will be picking up the Raider soon. The good news is that I will not need this for the spring coho.
2/14/18 @ 9:38 AM
luckylou
luckylou
User since 8/25/11

Feel free to private message me. I feel like I have a PhD in installing and troubleshooting raiders. 

i think I’ve done 4-5 over the years with my various boats and feel like I’ve got a good solution. 

2/12/18 @ 2:30 PM
X-Ray
X-Ray
User since 3/30/15
It is not hard.  Yes there is a disconnect.  The main challenge is making sure you have good electrical connection between the stripped coated cable and release.  I did a very simple approach.  I stripped the cable and make a loop in the end and pass this through the swivel eye and then the swivel through the loop to form a slip knot on the eye. Then tie a single overhand knot for extra hold.  Works great.  Make sure to use a good stainless steel swivel.  I have routinely run mine >90' down with this and no loss of signal.  My biggest issue is the coated cable getting chewed up by my ghetto manual downrigger.
Displaying 1 to 12 of 12 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish located by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE