MORE
Great Lakes Fishing

Copper vs. Leadcore

6/4/14 @ 12:57 PM
INITIAL POST
pollockalope
pollockalope
User since 6/30/08
Both have their Pros & Cons. But I have developed a severe prejudice (hatred) for 10 color lead core, for a couple of reasons... Very hard to tell if you have a smaller fish on..... The overall length of dragging 10 colors around... It just wears me out after a couple of fish etc.. I know Copper has a few issues too.. special rod guides, birds nests etc... But why run huge lengths of lead-core when u can get the job done in 1/2 of the distance w/copper? Thanks for your input! Lope
Displaying 1 to 15 of 33 posts
8/15/19 @ 10:34 AM
X-Ray
X-Ray
User since 3/30/15

Walleye board pulls 300’ of #32 copper no problem

8/15/19 @ 7:42 AM
Rizzo22
User since 1/23/04

what length of copper can the 10" walleye Church boards pull ?

1/22/19 @ 11:38 AM
X-Ray
X-Ray
User since 3/30/15

I've always run micro.  It runs 45-55' down with 10 colors depending on speed and currents.  

Folks run 3,5, or 7 colors to achieve different depths.  Coho season (May) I am running from the surface to 30' down.  So I am running 1, 3 and 6 color potentially.   Depending on where the kings are I might run 3, 6 color, but this is only occurs when the cold water is in or I am fishing sunrise (no 3 color).

I would not put partial of a full copper out due to kinks.  Depending on which copper brand you run this is a major issue.  Deploying copper sucks.

1/22/19 @ 10:57 AM
fishrepellant
User since 3/25/10

Lead Core - Since "Full Cores" are 10 colors, why are people typically running odd numbers (3, 5, 7s)

Copper - is it OK to have a 300, run it straight back, but let less out to achieve different depths or will the rod kink/damage the copper line?

1/21/19 @ 12:39 PM
Bullman
User since 4/10/15

I am wondering how many are using the micro lead vs. the larger diameter lead. I switched over last year but wanted to know if I am achieving the same depth as regular lead core.  I did well with the 10 color and 7 color but not sure I was getting down to 50 foot with the 10 color.

6/3/18 @ 2:04 PM
JamesD
JamesD
PRO MEMBER User since 2/16/04

I do the same thing as Mr. Beard when filling up my reels. Why have a nice reel and then cripple its drag system by putting on half as much line as it's able to hold. Here's another cheap and adjustable (add or take off masking tape) transfer system. After putting on the core and backing up to 1/8 inch to the top of the spool, I keep the dog in the house, and walk the line out on to the grass in the back yard and then flip it. The battery drill and a couple of used plastic spools is quicker tho. Almost forgot.....core rules and copper drools! At least, so far...

6/1/18 @ 6:40 AM
Grey Beard
User since 1/27/02

svitreum,

It takes some work but what I have done is put the line on backwards ie first the copper, then the PP(what ever you want and then fill to the brim with your mono backing. Then transfer to an empty spool, then to another empty spool then back on your reel.

Boog made me a stainless steel tool that allows me to put spools on my electric drill to take line off. It would be easier if you had another reel same size but most don't have a large capacity reel that is not employed.

I agree on size of the king's. Heard of a 25# last Sat. at MKE. I had one on a wire dipsy Monday that was set at 80 LOC white flasher/LBB. When the counter hit 300' the wire started to hang up a bit in the reel so I tried striping it to keep up with the fish. That worked until 480' then locked and broke off with 287' of wire lost plus everything else. Must have had a kink in the wire. The fish never slowed!

In the begining of the year I usually put an 8oz weight on my wires and run the line out until I reach the small amout of mono backing. I then retrieve under tension so the wire lays smoothly. Forgot and it cost me.

Grey Beard

ps I put about 100' of 30# mono between both my copper and lead core rigs and then add the PP. This way I have mono to attach my Off Shores.  With leadcore, the Willis knot for leadcore to mono an easy and great knot.

5/29/18 @ 12:49 PM
svitreum
svitreum
User since 8/29/06

I currently have a 225 copper outfit I made up last year with a 45 DS Convector and 40# power pro backing. I think I have 900 feet of backing on it. I want to make up a 300 as well using this same size reel. How much backing would you think I could fit on before the copper? Maybe 600 feet?? I want to get all I can on this reel because the kings are huge this year! Thanks for any expert advice. I am using Blood Run 32# copper. Thanks.

6/27/17 @ 9:47 PM
luckylou
luckylou
User since 8/25/11

Lots of guys recommend big reels for copper and full cores. They are not wrong. if money were no object, there is a right way to do it

However, for those on a budget, powerpro backing makes a huge difference. You can run 40 size for 225 and 10 color. Will a big king spoil you? Maybe. Hasn't happened to me in 10+ years...

6/12/17 @ 5:37 PM
genek.
User since 8/20/04

for me I ran a 150ft of copper off port side of boat and a full core of lead off starbort side ,the fullcore took 90% of all the hits compared to the 150 copper on 2 trips. I have not run the 150copper since then. I will say I converted my okuma 55L reels to the high speed  6.2:1gearsets which helped out a lot on the full core and 300 ft of cooper.    

6/12/17 @ 11:06 AM
svitreum
svitreum
User since 8/29/06

I am looking for a reel to put 225 feet of copper on as the reel it is currently on is not up to par. I was looking at the DAIWA SG57LC3B and wondered if anyone has input on this reel. I just can't spend 200+ bucks on a tekota 800 and really want to fish copper. The fish love it! Any other high speed reels come to mind? Thanks.

Jimmy

3/22/17 @ 4:30 PM
Jason Woda
User since 9/1/01

I have 300 yards of power pro backer on all copper and lead set ups, even 2 colors. A little more expensive up front, but then again you never have to replace your backer again. There is no set amount of backer, but at 300yds, you will never see the knot attaching to the mono backer behind the power pro. Again. You never have to replace it, and chances of breaking 50lb pp, is slim to none.

3/20/17 @ 10:49 AM
svitreum
svitreum
User since 8/29/06

I am setting up a 300 copper for the 1st time and wondered if you guys tie your braid straight to your copper, or use a mono shot between. I am hoping to avoid mono tie-ins this year since I am transitioning to the Sam's pro release on all the heavy boards (7 color to 300 copper). I had 2 mono failures where the board attaches resulting in a loss of the leadcore and terminal tackle/spoon/FF. This gets expensive. Thanks.

3/14/17 @ 8:06 PM
svitreum
svitreum
User since 8/29/06

Can I fit 150' blood run copper on a 47 size reel? I am thinking of having 450' of 40# power pro backing. Thanks.

" Can even fit 300 copper on a 45".

Thanks Jason. I didn't read back far enough.

2/1/17 @ 12:59 PM
Fish Hound
User since 1/29/02

It all depends on what type of line and reel you are using, there is no single answer for every application.

Tell us what you plan to use and we can probably get you close.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 33 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
percision control by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE