SEARCH
MORE
Great Lakes Fishing

Braided line dipsys tangling the riggers

6/24/18 @ 9:14 PM
INITIAL POST
bass ackwards31
User since 1/18/17
I have used slide divers set on 0 for the past few years but changed to mag divers this year. I’ve never had issues with dipsys getting into the riggers. I set it to 2 setting (toward the R for starboard and L for portside.) I’ve had them catching on the riggers back 15-25 feet behind the ball. Today when downrigger popped the dipsy line was over the deeper rigger line while going straight. I am about to give up on these things and go back to slide divers. They definitely don’t pull off to the side like a standard diver did for me. What am I doing wrong?
Displaying 1 to 6 of 6 posts
6/25/18 @ 8:25 AM
Fisher123
User since 7/6/06
Ive had my dipsies at times track very weird due to current. Its sometimes just better to pull the one tracking weird and put out a different line, than deal with trying to make it work. 
6/25/18 @ 8:23 AM
bass ackwards31
User since 1/18/17
Yesterday when we did have the dipsy over the rigger there was a good current. In fact my rigger with the probe was pushed very hard to the north when trolling East. That makes sense because the port side dipsy never tangled. I will try setting onto 3 to get just a bit more distance. I appreciate all the info. I will add, I run 20-30’ leaders then a flasher/fly normally so there is a lot behind it
6/25/18 @ 5:19 AM
Grey Beard
User since 1/27/02

Good insight XRay. My typical summer program is wire diver size 124 starboard set on 2 and same on port but on 1 and braid on port with 3 set. One day last yr when there was a lot of current I set the port wire intp the rigger 3 times in a row. Exasperating! I acutally gave up and put out another board line. No problems since but now port at 1.5.

Grey Beard

6/24/18 @ 10:38 PM
X-Ray
X-Ray
User since 3/30/15
I always run on 3 setting and have never tangled with the rigger.  I ran a mag last year on wire and had no problems with the rigger.  Looking at the mags, I am thinking they don't pull out as much and will be more impacted by current.  They have a lot more drag which will reduce how far out they go and the larger surface area will push the mag in current.  For the dipsy to catch the rigger behind the ball, the dipsy has to be deeper than the rigger.  
6/24/18 @ 9:52 PM
Fisher123
User since 7/6/06
There is no reason why they should run any different than a slide diver, if they are set up correctly. They are the same exact thing, except a slide diver slides when released. We run both on our boat with no issue tangling into the riggers. Just make sure the weight is set correctly. Other than a horrible current, if they are set correctly, they will run the same as a slide diver. I hate to say it would be operator error, since it sounds like they are set correctly, but i can't think of any other reason they would tangle on a 2 setting.
Displaying 1 to 6 of 6 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
percision control by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE