2015 Fishing Pictures/Videos

5/30/14 @ 3:21 PM
ORIGINAL POST
eyecatcher84
eyecatcher84
USER since 3/19/08
Allright guys, I know we've talked about this before in other forums but the topic came up again in the Milwaukee thread, so I figured Id start a thread hear to keep that board clean.... So once and for all, whats the best diver out there? Dipsy? Walker Deeper diver? Slide Diver??? Not just looking for brand allegiance, but why do you like the divers you run? Ive tried all three and have settled on Walkers with extremely long leads, but am considering giving slide divers another shot for ease of storage and netting... Whats your take?
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 407 Posts
6/2/14 @ 9:56 AM
smokercraft427
smokercraft427
MEMBER since 4/16/06
I use Walker and LJ's. Don't really see much difference between the two. I use an orange and clear 0 in the spring and the magnums as the year goes on and need to get deeper. the jury is still out if color makes a big difference? I do seem to catch a lot on yellow and orange tiger stripe and all silver magnums? I always use on 3 set to get away from the rigger lines and a 7'-9' lead. Next outing I'm increasing this lead to 10 - 12'. With my boat I can still net a 12'+ lead with no problem if ya just back up towards the bow.

Post Your Comment
5/31/14 @ 8:59 AM
eyecatcher84
eyecatcher84
USER since 3/19/08
Heres my take. Started with luhr jensen dipsy divers. They worked fine, but I didn't like the plastic rings. Kept popping off when fighting fish, and once they come off, its like you can never really get them to stay on there good again. So, after that, went to the Walker Deeper Diver. IMO the walkers and the LJ's are pretty much the same thing except for the ring. The walkers are just the same size as the dipsys with the ring, without a ring on them (if that makes sense), so when choosing between walkers and LJs i think it just comes down to how big of a diver youre looking to use.

Stuck with the walkers for quite awhile and started experimenting with leader length quite a bit. Found rather quickly that longer leads off dipsys put more fish in the boat for me. Now, ive talked to guys that run much shorter leads and do well, but when talking about Kings (cohos and bows completely different story) long leads really works better for me.

Wanting to get an even more "stealth" approach, I decided to give Slide Divers a try. I ran them for about a half dozen trips before they got retired. Setting them is a little bit more difficult, but I didnt mind that too much, and wouldve dealt with it but a couple other things really turned me off from them. Number one was my hookup ratio was horrible with the slide divers. More drivebys than Cabrini Green and mid battle losses as well. Im not sure what causes that but my guess would be the slack created in the line when the diver releases and slides down the line? MId battle losses are probably due to the hook not getting set as well on the bite either?

Either way, I couldnt take it anymore as I EXPECT my diver rods to catch fish. Riggers have their days, sometimes boards do the majority of the work, but divers will ALWAYS chime in for a few. They are the first rods in the water every day and the last rods out, so I just couldnt stand throwing away so many bites every day.

So, ended up switching back to the walkers for the most part. Still used LJ's on occasion, mostly smaller orange ones that I have for cohos. But the last change I made to my dipsy setups was probably the biggest single improvement Ive ever made to my big lake fishing. I now run extremely long leads off my walkers (20'+), and my bites and catch rates have gone way up. I think the long lead helps with stealth and creates more bites, but I also think more boat make it to the net this way too. THe long lead acts as an extra snubber and has a cushioning effect that keeps fish buttoned. Lastly, landing a fish with these long leads turns into a completely different process where instead of somebody trying to awkwardly guide a fish to the net from the front of the boat with a ten foot rod way above their head, the fish is easily handlined to the net.

Handlining seems a little sketchy at first but it really isnt. BIggest tip I can give you is, let that fish tire way out before you ever bring it to the back of the boat. If you do that, the fish will just kinda lay on its side as you hand over hand it to the net. Works really slick once youve done it once or twice.

Anyways, I know that was long winded, but like I said, I consider my divers to be my most valuable rods in the boat, so I want them to function the best way possible. Im also really interested to hear from the guys who run slide divers as to how their success rates are and if there are any tips and tricks to make them more effective?

Post Your Comment
5/30/14 @ 7:33 PM
ditto
ditto
USER since 12/6/10
I never ran the Walkers, only Dipseys and Slide Divers Slide Divers are a PITA, they sound like a great thing until you start using them and then they get goofy. Hard to run with super line or wire and I won't run a diver with mono.

Post Your Comment
5/30/14 @ 7:24 PM
boscrowe
boscrowe
USER since 2/28/09
i just logged on to start the same exact topic . My question is whats everyones preference on color? Going to buy some more in the near future and have been reading a lot about the slide divers . I guess my only beef with those is that you don’t have a versatile rod that you can do a lot of different rigs with . With me only having 14 rods total and 3 guys in the boat i tend to easily put out 9 rods that leaves 5 rods that i can mix and rig when the bit is changing or I’m keying into a good bite on one . What are your thoughts on the slide divers?

Post Your Comment
5/30/14 @ 5:36 PM
thinblueline
thinblueline
USER since 1/25/10
Used them both, and preferred the Walker over Luhr Jensen, but now Torpedo Divers came out with their Deep Sea Diver, and I bought four of them to start using exclusively, because I think they are even a little better. torpedodivers.com

Post Your Comment