Beginner in need of advice

1/25/15 @ 5:15 PM
ORIGINAL POST
walleyeguy1229
walleyeguy1229
USER since 4/15/13
So I want to start trolling for salmon/trout, but I've never trolled before, and only started fishing for them this past fall. I was thinking about just getting a couple dipsy rods, dipsy divers, some spoons, flies and a few flashers/dodgers. I'd wait with downriggers because I don't have the money For them. I do have a few other rods already. I also have the necessities, such as a marine band radio, gps fishfinder, and a kicker. Thanks
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 13 Posts
2/14/15 @ 12:58 PM
boscrowe
boscrowe
USER since 2/28/09
Im going into my 3rd season and last year I spent a lot of money on the sport .When people say your going to have to spend a lot of money to get into it thats a under statement your going to have to spend a TON of money . EBAY and Craigslist are great for finding a lot of gear for cheap . A lot of guys are selling gear on craigslist as whole lots and getting into it i think looking back on things that is the cheapest way to go . With this years fishing forecast I would agree with luckylou get your standard orange dodgers ,peanut flys fish for the cohos and browns then wait till fall and get your crank baits out . Rideshare is great to meet guys that just want to fish and my not have a working boat or just want another person in the boat . I have meet some great people on here .

Post Your Comment
2/2/15 @ 4:07 PM
luckylou
luckylou
USER since 8/25/11
I'll make a comment based on the current state of the fishery, given that you're just getting in to the game:

- You don't need downriggers (as previously mentioned, you will want them later though)

- Start by learning the coho game. this is the easiest fishing out there. Late April through mid-June depending on your home port. You have many options here, none require riggers. You can catch limits of coho with 6 planer boards. You can run 2 divers/4 boards, or 4 divers/2 boards. You'll kill em - dodgers/peanuts

- When the lake stratifies for summer, you can do your tricks with lead core and copper

Ultimately, you can really pound some of these fish with a few rods - based on the seasonality/date, target species, etc.

Like others have already said, if you do fall in love with this...you'll soon buy in thousands, but you can be very dangerous with six rods. Now, just to avoid complete ignorance here...there are going to be some presentations you won't capitalize on, and there are distinct advantages seldom repeated without riggers.

Honestly, when I first got into this, I was putting together rod/reel/line combos for $60/piece (cheap $35 reels, $15 rods, ~$10 line). Six of those will work at times.

Edited on 2/3/15 6:57 AM
Post Your Comment
2/2/15 @ 10:27 AM
eye's r us
eye's r us
USER since 3/3/09
You can pull six rods very nicely or more. I would start the day with two pump handle set ups out the back. This is a one pound ball with a rubber snubber then a mono leader to either a spoon or flasher fly. When using pump handles or even dypsies I use a red off shore clip on them so they can be placed anywhere on the line to give you as long a leader as you want. If you wrap the line around the clip once it will not come off. Then put a dypsie out each side with a setting to get them away from the boat. I put the red clip on the release part of the dypsie and clip it to your fireline where ever you please allowing you to give it a 100 foot leader if need be. I don't use snubbers on dypsies because of the long leader length there is plenty of give. Then put out planners with limitless varieties of techniques. Lead core is a great way to get baits 20 or 30 feet down. Switch up spoons and flashers constantly!! White flashers have been the most productive around Kewaunee for me lately. This is very broad and just start with some stuff and keep trying! That is the best part of it. Learning. Mike

Post Your Comment
2/1/15 @ 9:52 AM
Fishercreek
Fishercreek
USER since 10/2/05
I fished Lake Michigan without downriggers for quite a few years and did well. Things have changed since then, but I still catch a lot of deep fish on setups other than downriggers- Pump handles, copper, lead core with weight ahead of it and braid dispsy divers primarily. Chances are that if you are just starting out, you won't be fishing beyond depths you can reach with those setups, especially if you have a smaller boat.

Post Your Comment
1/31/15 @ 8:13 PM
Cat Man J.J.
Cat Man J.J.
USER since 5/9/03
walleyeguy1229, You've come to the right place. There is a ton of great information on this forum and you will have a lot of questions. Search the threads and you will find the answers your looking for. 6 solid rod holders, 2 or 4 40lb 50lb braided dipseys, 2 or 4 rods lead core or mono. being able to run 4 divers and 2 boards or 2 divers and 4 boards with lead core or weights will do ok early in the year but it gets tough later in the summer with no down riggers. Good Luck J.J.

Post Your Comment
1/31/15 @ 11:59 AM
In Pursuit
In Pursuit
USER since 1/30/14
Agreed. Braid will dive better and the dipsey will trip easier with the low stretch.

You can run 2-4 dipseys pretty easily if you put some thought into rod holder placement and dipsey settings. Those fish travel 15ft up or down in a heartbeat. Get a couple baits in the 60ft range, couple around 30ft, couple flat lines, and you'll get hooked up..

Post Your Comment
1/27/15 @ 12:55 PM
Gone 4 Now
Gone 4 Now
USER since 4/26/08
If you plan on running Dipsey's forget the mono and go with braid, Suffix or power Pro.

Post Your Comment
1/26/15 @ 7:55 PM
walleyeguy1229
walleyeguy1229
USER since 4/15/13
Thanks so much! I'll probably just get some heavy mono and fluoro, as well as a few dipsys and just use the walleye boards I have now. I might consider checking out that salmon school too.

Post Your Comment
1/26/15 @ 4:39 PM
sylvan81
sylvan81
USER since 5/23/12
When you have time read this fourm page http://www.lake-link.com/forums/Great-Lakes-Fishing/discuss.cfm/12192/Lake-Michigan-Trolling-Tips-and-Tactics/

A lot of great guys have posted some very helpful info

Post Your Comment
1/26/15 @ 4:28 PM
madpikefisherman
madpikefisherman
USER since 6/30/12
Jason Woda who runs the Trophy Hunter out of Milwaukee is having a Salmon school again this year. Not to expensive I went to it three years ago before rigging my boat having never done it before. A lot of good information and R&R the fishing hole has more stuff than you can imagine to start with. Check out his post and give him a call if you are in the area.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 13 Posts