MORE
Great Lakes Fishing

Autopilot

8/15/18 @ 12:36 PM
INITIAL POST
X-Ray
X-Ray
User since 3/30/15

I have successfully implemented a budget autopilot on my 1985 23' Sea Ray.  This solution is for inboard motor with stern drive.  The hardware list:

1. Tinypilot computer, $100

2. Pypilot motor controller, $80

3. Raymarine st4000 Mk2 wheel drive

Total cost was around $360.  Items 1 and 2 can be purchased at https://pypilot.org/store/ .  I bought the wheel drive on ebay used for $145.  New wheel drives are around $500.  The computer uses a raspberry pi and the motor controller is arduino based.  This is not for the non-DIYer.  You have to be comfortable with wiring things up, etc, as well as understanding PID control.  This was an attractive solution for me as I was loath to drop +$1500 on a new setup and I like to tinker.  I engage the autopilot while setting lines and when a fish is on if I have 2 or more in the boat.  When I am solo, I generally leave it on from start of line setting until I have pulled lines.  Works well with my only complaint being the wheel drive is noisy (it's used and needs to gone over which I will do in the off season).

If anyone else is interested, I'd be happy to talk you through it.  Drop me a PM.

Displaying 1 to 2 of 2 posts
8/16/18 @ 6:42 AM
fishinnutinwis
User since 12/26/01

Awesome

Displaying 1 to 2 of 2 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish seduced by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE