MORE
Great Lakes Fishing

Another sac question. Sorry.

2/16/18 @ 5:38 PM
INITIAL POST
1fowl one
1fowl one
User since 12/9/10

Fresh spawn, uncured, sacked, tied up, to the freezer.

Will you grab a handful from the freezer, fish (Ice fishing) for the day and toss the unused, slightly thawed back in the freezer and use them again next week? Or do you think they are junk? If you are not going to use them in the next couple days, just toss them?

And... same question, with cured sacks.

Thx.

Displaying 1 to 6 of 6 posts
2/19/18 @ 3:07 PM
machoprogrammer
User since 1/19/07

Uncured eggs will pop easier in the freezer than cured. I would recommend against re-freezing them once they are thawed.

If they are cured, depending on how they are cured, you can re-freeze them without issue

2/19/18 @ 12:01 PM
JamesD
JamesD
PRO MEMBER User since 2/16/04

One thing you could try that my buddy recommends is pouring a little vegetable oil over the eggs before you freeze them. Migr8tor has the right idea.... Fish what you got till you catch one for some new sacks. The oil keeps the spawn from getting burned when frozen and they catch fish even after several times frozen. Curing makes the eggs tougher but uncured eggs work fine too. Don't apologize for asking questions when  many others will benefit from your asking.

2/18/18 @ 7:35 PM
migr8r
migr8r
User since 2/8/11
I leaned against the old cyclone fence in Port Washington for days on end in the late 80’s/ early 90’s in the hayday. It may or may not have made a difference but we used all varieties of spawn. From fresh to completely rotten, cured, not cured, sugared, salted, Kool-aid or Jell-o cured, there was no limit and someone was always trying to find the perfect treatment. Sometimes when the water was dirty the rotten ones seemed to produce more than others. Browns were the ones that tended towards the stinky spawn as I recall. So I really don’t think there is a right or wrong answer, mostly just confidence in using what you think will work in a situation that you think it will work. 
2/17/18 @ 10:35 AM
lar
lar
User since 7/13/01

I cure my eggs with borax and canning salt. After they are cured I vacuum seal in small pouches and freeze with the date and egg type. Take a pouch out and cut open to thaw. Enough for a days fishing. Any left over put in a pill bottle and put in frig. Will usually be good for a week or two. Give them a sniff. If they get ripe toss them. Refreezing tends to mush and burn the eggs. I used a pouch the other day from 2011 and they were still good.

Another sac question. Sorry. photo by lar
Displaying 1 to 6 of 6 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish seduced by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE