Alumacraft Trophy 205 Rigging?

5/18/15 @ 7:00 PM
ORIGINAL POST
TotalChaos01
TotalChaos01
USER since 2/7/06
We are looking at buying a 2013 trophy 205. My main concern is how to rig it for trolling because of the top load storage compartments on the gunnels. I think the downriggers could be mounted back far enough from the opening for the compartment. In my opinion the opening for the storage compartments falls right where a guy would want to mount his diver rod holders and rod trees. Does anyone have any experience rigging the new trophies with this top load gunnel storage? Any ideas or suggestions?
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 9 of 9 Posts
5/31/15 @ 9:18 AM
NEW Adventures
Capt. Ryan Peters
USER since 3/7/09
TotalChaos check your PM

(920) 676-3688
Post Your Comment
5/30/15 @ 1:43 PM
TotalChaos01
TotalChaos01
USER since 2/7/06
So we pulled the pin and bought the boat yesterday. Probably wont get it home for a week or so. Now i need to start thinking hard about rigging again. How did you pull the rod tubes out of that port side in order to get in there?

Post Your Comment
5/25/15 @ 8:37 PM
NEW Adventures
Capt. Ryan Peters
USER since 3/7/09
I did not use any backing plates for any gear mounted on the boat. The Trophy 205 has plywood under the aluminum already. I used all stainless bolts, fender washers, and nylock nuts. When installing all of these items, keep maintenance in mind. My down riggers have not loosened up, but both trees and tracks needed to be tightened this year.... Removing the rod holder tubes and plate on the port side is not easy on this boat.

(920) 676-3688
Post Your Comment
5/25/15 @ 12:47 PM
toyman2k
toyman2k
USER since 5/15/02
awesome thread here! thanks for the pics! rigging up new T-PRO alumacraft. question: did you guys use backing plates under your gunnel for the riggers and tracks for more support? hardest part of buying a new boat is rigging correctly the first time Wink

Post Your Comment
5/21/15 @ 7:48 PM
NEW Adventures
Capt. Ryan Peters
USER since 3/7/09
This was my main concern when thinking about purchasing my 205 also. I sat in this boat many times thinking about how to rig it for Lake Michigan before pulling the trigger on purchasing it... I ended up using Big Jon trees, and 12" Bert's Rod holder tracks with two ratcheting rod holders on each side. These are mounted in front of the top load storage compartments. Typically the trees are for board rods, and the Bert's are used for dipsy's. Then there are Big Jon electric riggers on the back corners of the boat with dual rod holders. I do like using the Scotty rod holders mounted on the Alumacraft rail mounts at about center of the storage compartments for my down rigger rods though. These are adjustable when needed, and if angled correctly you can access the storage compartments with no problems. By having them set forward a ways, it also leaves the back of the boat clear for fighting and netting fish. This set up has actually worked out better than I expected. I typically run a 9 or 12 rod spread with no issues at all, and have run as many as 15 rods when conditions and amount of people in the boat allow. The dual rod holders on the riggers are used for a rod out the chute or pump handle, and then rod storage when traveling on the water.

Here are a few pics, and a link to a video that I put together last year showing a six line spread with the down rigger rods in the plastic Scotty rod holders. The rod in the actual down rigger rod holders is a 300' copper that we can move from side to side as needed while fighting fish. If you have any questions, feel free to give me a call. You will love your new Alumacraft!

Captain Ryan Peters

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFdg1d3TNa4

(920) 676-3688
Post Your Comment
5/19/15 @ 2:07 PM
smokercraft427
smokercraft427
MEMBER since 4/16/06
I Love my Trophy 205 and you will too. It's the best boat for the money in its class. I also went with Traxtech and they have absolutely no down fall, love them. There's enough room on the rear corners for rigger mounts. I use twin Cannon rear rigger mounted rod holders, Cannon DR's on swivel mounts. Enough room in front of the rod storage for vertical trees, enough room on the starboard side between the cleat and light outlet for another single holder if you need it and enough room on the port side in front of the cleat for another holder. Again if you need it. Buy the boat! It's a beauty. Then customize it to fit your needs. Regardless if you choose Traxtech, Cannon, Bert's, Big Jon.... There's enough options to meet your needs.

Post Your Comment
5/19/15 @ 7:22 AM
Mike Nitro
Mike Nitro
USER since 4/3/14
I have the 19ft. Trophy and have had no problems with the standard Alumacraft rail-mounts that you get with the boat. Buy some Folbe rod holders and bolt them to the rail mounts and you can simply slide the rod holders anywhere you need them along the side rails. The Folbe rod holders are durable enought to support a mag dipsey and my riggers are mounted right behind the storage compartment.

Edited on 5/19/15 7:22 AM
Post Your Comment
5/18/15 @ 8:36 PM
luckylou
luckylou
USER since 8/25/11
My first opinion would be to call the guys at traxstech. I'll bet they seen one and designed for it. They are amazing with what they can do. That would be the priciest but best option.

Second option: can you mount your riggers high enough on a pedestal that your storage is still operational? If you went with big Jon you could run the divers out of a second holder ON the rigger mount. Then you could do your trees in front of the storage. Just an idea. You could run your riggers (assuming you run two) at 45* angles and still have room or a diver. I didn't need to design this way but I did to save space. See attached image (note on the image: that day I was running double divers. Imagine it with only the diver rod that's affixed to the rigger)

Not sure if option two would work. Not sure how long that storage hatch is. I love big Jon because they are like Legos. Just keep stacking holders and add longer bolts.

Post Your Comment