Adipose Fins - Stocking, What Don't I Understand?

12/1/14 @ 8:42 AM
ORIGINAL POST
luckylou
luckylou
USER since 8/25/11
Ok, it's time for a dumb question. (at least I'm calling it 'dumb' because my common sense isn't answering it) Subject matter experts say fewer than a just few percent of the chinooks we're catching are actually naturally reproduced kings. Yet, even in the 2014 struggle, about 50% of my fish had adipose fins... So, stocking is down. I'm all over that. I get that. And I get why that means proportionately we're getting more natural kings (with adipose fins), but I'm not quite understanding how half the fish I caught this year had fins... Can someone shed some light, either by correcting some of my ignorant assumptions, or providing some type of analysis? What is the reason we got so many "naturual" fish in 2014? (proportionately speaking Smile )
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 17 Posts
12/9/14 @ 7:13 PM
kal77
kal77
USER since 1/10/13
For me it was about 60-70% of kings with adipose fins attached while fishing for spring and summer kings. Once late August/September came around almost all of my kings were clipped. Could be that a lot of natural kings from up north or across the pond were in our area this year while the stocked mature salmon were elsewhere and didn't show up until they were staging for the spawn.

Post Your Comment
12/9/14 @ 12:49 PM
NiteMite
NiteMite
USER since 9/16/01
Mike, it's all an Illusion … a Cathy Stepp / WDNR Illusion … and we know who really pulls those strings. Look beyond what things seem to be and all will be clear.

Post Your Comment
12/9/14 @ 10:20 AM
Mike Nitro
Mike Nitro
USER since 4/3/14
Another interesting note: I checked the egg collecting facility in Kewaunee this fall and noticed that many of those river-run salmon had the adipose fin. Don't most spawning fish return to the river of thier origin? Wouldn't those naturals go back and spawn in Michigan or Canada? Something doesn't add up.

Post Your Comment
12/8/14 @ 6:40 AM
muskymike275
muskymike275
USER since 1/6/08
The creel survey person at algoma this last august told us they were seeing closer to 60 % salmon with adipose fins, or naturals. We saw a lot of natural fish this year too. At least 50/50 if not a little higher. I hope they get a handle on their information, it will be interesting.

Post Your Comment
12/4/14 @ 7:41 AM
Jzzzzz
Jzzzzz
USER since 1/19/02
in 2010 there was some fish that were stocked and non-clipped, but this would have been seen on mostly bigger 4yr old Chinooks this year.

Post Your Comment
12/3/14 @ 10:17 PM
NiteMite
NiteMite
USER since 9/16/01
My theory is that Mis Stepp is looking to remove some of our license $$ so the WDNR is reporting that the salmon that they said could not or were not capable of of spawning successfully can now miraculously have successful spawns, therefore, no need to spend $$ on something that's happening naturally. She accomplishes this by NOT having fins clipped, ta-da, instant naturally spawned fish.

Btw, this was tried in the late 70's / early 80's by showing(?) a mama and daddy Chinook in one of the water output tubes @ McCormick Place in Chicago taking care of their baby Chinooks. Doh! The Illinois DOC and The WDNR made comments that this bodes well for eliminating $$ to continue a stocking program that was essentially unnecessary.

Then again, maybe they all just grow back, as a warden suggested.

Post Your Comment
12/2/14 @ 12:49 PM
JamesD
JamesD
USER since 2/16/04
There are no dumb questions, just dumb answers. So here goes; Musky guy has a point because the process of clipping fins and jacking the small info chip in their skulls is no longer done in a slow, tedious one by one hands on process. A machine was developed to do it very quickly on a mass scale. Perhaps not all of the smolts fit, so some may be spared the "machine". I know there is no natural reproduction of salmon in Wisconsin creeks but across the pond Michigan streams are kicking out a few. Who knows what next year will bring.

Post Your Comment
12/1/14 @ 10:49 PM
denesox
denesox
USER since 2/1/06
+1 BM12

Post Your Comment
12/1/14 @ 6:15 PM
CCA
CCA
USER since 6/19/01
They were still migrating down from Huron.........

Post Your Comment
12/1/14 @ 4:01 PM
luckylou
luckylou
USER since 8/25/11
Musky - you are right! But then where were the adiposes last year? last year was normal?

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 17 Posts