Stick baits / Rapala

9/2/17 @ 9:07 AM
ORIGINAL POST
fishinnutinwis
fishinnutinwis
MEMBER since 12/26/01

Hello.. While fishing out of Kewaunee last week , trolled near harbor for a while and I got into my first King experience,, and as much as I have dreamed and anticipated a King , the Battle was intense to say the least ... definetly addicted .... anyway after 20 -25 minute fight got it boatside , huge fish , and it made a quick turn and run and my rapala just popped out of his mouth .. Thinking the hooks are maybe to small ?? or was it just bad luck .. has anyone changed out to larger hooks without comprimising action of lure ??  And in reports and forums you rarely hear stickbaits mentioned --- usually spoons , flies ... is it because of hooking potential ?? what better resembles a baitfish then a rapala ??

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 5 of 5 Posts
10/8/17 @ 9:25 PM
muskymike275
muskymike275
USER since 1/6/08

I have seen big browns 10 lbs plus pop the rapala hooks as well. I put a single in the rear or change to a heavier wire hook, that is close to the same size. 

Post Your Comment
9/4/17 @ 7:47 PM
sslayer
sslayer
USER since 6/9/06

I used the J13 jointed Rapalas for off shore trolling.

I used Shad Raps in SR08 and SR09 for harbor trolling in the Fall.

I posted a photo.

Good Luck

SS

Post Your Comment
9/2/17 @ 12:49 PM
fishinnutinwis
fishinnutinwis
MEMBER since 12/26/01

Thanks slayer... bait is 4 inches long from front to back - not including last treble ... believe to be a size 10 , maybe 12

Post Your Comment
9/2/17 @ 9:58 AM
sslayer
sslayer
USER since 6/9/06

It's hard to help you out without knowing the size of the Rapala you were using. On a J-13 size I'd upgrade hooks to Diiachi Death Trap size #2. Diiachi hooks are slightly lighter but every bit as strong as a 2X treble hook.

If you're just trolling the Rapalas I'd change the tail hook over to a 2-0 siwash (single hook).

Good Luck

SS

Edited on 9/2/17 10:01 AM
Post Your Comment