Soldering copper line

10/28/17 @ 11:27 AM
ORIGINAL POST
Sunshine2
Sunshine2
USER since 12/20/01

Has anyone tried just making a small loop and then soldering copper line? I have been using an albright knot but have been thinking of trying the solder method.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 5 of 5 Posts
10/31/17 @ 5:22 AM
Grey Beard
Grey Beard
USER since 1/27/02

Charter Capt Arnie Arrendondo showed how he does it. Place about 1.5" 3/16" shrink tube on the copper. Using a very small nail bend back the copper using about 1.5" tag. Twist the wire around the nail about 6 times. Move shrink tube over the end leaving the loop created by the nail exposed.

Final product looks much like the picture of the soldered version but easier to do and copper remains soft and no problems going thru the guides.

Grey Beard

Post Your Comment
10/30/17 @ 1:28 PM
srs1978
srs1978
USER since 2/12/15

I've tried this and found that the solder was "stiff" and didn't go through the guide in the reel very well and it caused problems on the reel.

I went back to using a small spro swivel and a haywire twist with heat shrink tube. The swivel cures a pile of other "issues" ta boot!

Post Your Comment
10/29/17 @ 9:43 AM
Sunshine2
Sunshine2
USER since 12/20/01

Haven't tried it yet. I posted the same question on a FB page and received mixed reviews.

Post Your Comment
10/29/17 @ 7:27 AM
sslayer
sslayer
USER since 6/9/06

I thought about soldering copper line too but never tried it. Frankly a stress test should answer your question.

The solder joint image posted looks good and the solder penetrated into the copper strands.

Did you haywire twist the copper line before soldering? I'd recommend that before soldering.

Good Luck

SS

Post Your Comment