LM spring coho

2/26/18 @ 10:32 AM
ORIGINAL POST
fishinnutinwis
fishinnutinwis
MEMBER since 12/26/01

This will be my first season targeting spring coho on lake michigan .. have several 00 dodgers and assortment of small flies as well as many stickbaits (mainly all Ive used on lake superior) ... all reels have mono.. recently purchased off shore boards (been using mast system) and a fishhawk x4d ..

My questions are will the dodger and flies run deep enough , seem light , or should I set up some reels with one or two colors of lead .. any and all suggestions welcomed .. eager to learn as much as possible .. thanks

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 10 Posts
3/8/18 @ 8:50 AM
MuskyHunter
MuskyHunter
USER since 6/17/01

Caught plenty of coho last year out in 160 to 180 that were filled with alewives. Never really found the ones packed full of shrimp. We also caught very few on the typical dodger and peanut flies. Spoons were top producers for us.

Post Your Comment
3/7/18 @ 9:16 AM
markrazzy
markrazzy
USER since 6/23/09
The last couple years have been a little different with warmer winters and there have been large schools of cohos out deep in the spring.  I wouldn't overlook the shallow bite though.  I fish out of a kayak and did just fine starting down by Racine and following them up through Port Washington.  I will say boat traffic would seem to shut them down some days but other days it didn't matter.  I took a handful of trips before work last year for coho in May and had my limit and back on shore before most boats were even out.  

Edited on 3/7/18 9:19 AM
Post Your Comment
3/7/18 @ 7:20 AM
irishff
irishff
USER since 1/17/07

It was a very good coho bite for us last year. For about a month and a half we would set up in 120 FOW and troll east until we hit 220 FOW then troll back again. If you are starting out I would run 1/2oz keel weights with a 4ft leader to your dodger peanut fly. Run them 15 - 35ft behind your planer board. You can also do leadcore. This is just personal preference but I run a 1.5 core 2 core, and 3 core. For a more in depth how to on Great Lakes coho fishing go to youtube and look up Anglers Avenue Class 2 Coho. Russell gives a very good breakdown of what you need to know.

Good Luck, right lines.

Post Your Comment
3/6/18 @ 10:48 PM
Crookskinner
Crookskinner
USER since 9/28/09

Glade to see this post, but not happy with what may be a difficult future for us small boat week-end guys. I attended a salmon fishing seminar over the weekend in Kenosha and a major topic over the two days was how fishing in general, and especially spring Coho fishing, has moved way off shore. What I took away from the weekend was that instead of catching Coho in 30 feet of water this spring, expect to travel to 300 feet of water due to the lack of alewives and therefore Coho changing their diet to fresh water shrimp which typically are out very deep, very deep at least for guys like me.  So like last year, the “ Coho forecast” was that there will be very few Coho in close, but the fishing will be tremendous for those who are willing and able to travel the 10, 12 or more miles east to get to them. If this is true, I will surely miss those Saturday mornings fishing close enough to shore to hear people talking while catching a limit of Coho in a few hours. Rats! The obvious solution, a major investment in a bigger and newer boat. BTW, I fish out of Racine/Kenosha.

Post Your Comment
3/5/18 @ 12:16 PM
L U E 42
L U E 42
USER since 7/13/09

Coho schools seldom go past Sheboygan before dispersing. Sometimes they don't get that far. 2017 was the exception where schools arrived in Two Rivers and stayed a couple weeks - a rare and very welcomed opportunity on my boat.

Post Your Comment
2/27/18 @ 11:21 AM
hockeyguy39
hockeyguy39
USER since 8/24/07

What's typically the northernmost port for consistent coho action? Do they make it up past Sheboygan or is the spring "run" (for lack of a better term) more of a southern ports thing?

Post Your Comment
2/26/18 @ 9:57 PM
migr8r
migr8r
USER since 2/8/11
Spring cohos run high, typically under 20’ below the surface and often within 10’. With the clarity of LM, you could run baits on the surface and cohos will see them. I generally run dodgers with 1/2 oz weights and vary from 15’ to maybe 35’ from the board. Often times I can see the dodgers. A size 0 dipsy with 15-25’ LOC is often my best rod and those I can always see. 1-3 colors of lead does work too. Just don’t get below them. I’d rather fish too high than too low. On dead flat calm days you can often see cohos cruising right on the surface where they actually bulge the surface water. If I don’t have a pattern, I’ll start with a variety and change accordingly to adapt. With cranks, I’ll run the 10-35’ back depending on depth of water and the running depth of the crank but I almost always have those in the top 10’ and often top 5’. Small copper spoons with pink and/or purple up high work quite well too, especially early in the season. 

Post Your Comment
2/26/18 @ 11:40 AM
CCA
CCA
USER since 6/19/01

Run trolling weights, I use 1/4, 1/2, and 5/8 normally back 20 to 120 from heaviest to lightest sinkers per side.

Post Your Comment
2/26/18 @ 10:45 AM
Fish Hound
Fish Hound
USER since 1/29/02

Russell does a great job of explaining things in this video

Coho Tips

Post Your Comment