Fishing Solo

10/6/17 @ 1:17 PM
ORIGINAL POST
fishinnutinwis
fishinnutinwis
USER since 12/26/01

How do you guys do it ?? I have on Lake Superior in a 16' Tuffy with a tiller .. Tied ropes to Keep motor straight ... Now I bought a 23 ft Sylvan Offshore because I am obsessed with this and sick of depending on others to join me and looking at my boat in the yard ..

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 5 of 5 Posts
10/9/17 @ 9:26 PM
smeylink
smeylink
USER since 2/3/08

Couple things.  Autopilot  Could be a bow mount trolling motor or dedicated one for power steering but that is priceless when your reeling in a fish with boat traffic around and running all 3 lines.  

Boat style make a difference as well light weight high sides will get pushed by the wind, but lets you fish with larger waves easier too.  

Kids...  Sometimes my kids would rather steer the boat so any neighbor kid works for this one.

High Thrust prop with tiller locked.  If you have good thrust from the outboard it should hold straight for a bit even w/o bow mount.  Can also run both bow mount with kicker which is what I do at times.  Bow mount at 3-4 and autopilot turned on.  Also gives me with the remote GPS speed and depth w/o needing to see / look at graph.  

Make sure your leader length is right for solo netting or net is long enough and tire the fish out before it is to the back of the boat.  Green king at the back of the boat is bad enough with 2, but overly crazy with one I would think.  

Post Your Comment
10/8/17 @ 6:00 PM
muskymike21
muskymike21
USER since 2/15/17

I know exactly how you feel! This is my first year fishing Lake Michigan, 17' Alumacraft Voyageur, and I'm totally hooked! Friday I did my first solo Michigan trip cuz the lake was calm and I just couldn't stand the boat sitting dry! So being a rookie myself I don't have much to offer, but having done a lot of solo Muskie fishing one thing I brought forward from that is a net handle that lets you easily move a big net around with just 1 hand. The one I've got I say something like this. http://robohandle.com/   Got it at a Muskies expo, but I can easily move around my big Frabill with no problems. Just one small tip.  Curious to see more suggestions!

Post Your Comment
10/8/17 @ 12:43 PM
migr8r
migr8r
USER since 2/8/11
I may be the only one legally licensed at times, but I never fish alone. 

Post Your Comment
10/8/17 @ 12:01 PM
Chemist
Chemist
USER since 6/17/01

I was fishing solo when I caught my 26 pounder last month.  For me, my boat is small, I avoid crowds because boat control is tricky with a big fish on.  Years ago I had someone run over my line when I was fighting a big fish in the harbor. that was irritating.

I like to turn the boat so I am going with the wind once I hook up, if that is possible. This is a big reason I stay away from the crowds. I would be in everyone's way as soon as I hooked up.

Post Your Comment