Dispy Diver set-up

4/29/14 @ 6:30 PM
ORIGINAL POST
KTNJR
KTNJR
USER since 12/18/07
I have 16 footer deep V im setting up to do some fishing on the big pond. Im going to be running 4 dipsy diver rods. I would like to get down-riggers in a couple of years. In setting up dipsy divers, can you use dodgers or flashers after the dipsy diver or dont use them and just run the dipsy diver?
Post Your Comment
Displaying 21 to 27 of 27 Posts
7/11/17 @ 11:42 AM
ole 870
ole 870
USER since 6/27/01

Great advice guys. I too have a new boat and want to get set up to run with 4 dipsys. I have very little GL experience. I do not want to break the bank, so am looking for advice on what equipment I should look for that wroks well, but economically priced. I'm hearing that I should run 2 7.5' rods and 2 9' rods, but what type of rod holders and reels are good? What should I stay away from. What test of line should I be using? What size dipsy's and other hardware should I use if running 4? And lastly, can somone maybe post some pictures or pm me with some that show how to rig up the snubbers and all that jazz with these dipsys? Gotta make a list now so I can get rigged up in time for next year. thanks guys

Post Your Comment
6/21/17 @ 8:38 PM
nubbz07
nubbz07
USER since 12/31/09

yes I tried it last year with pretty good luck.the way i did it was big als hooked right on the dipsy, 4-5 leader to a spoon. never tied it with anything other than soons tho.

Post Your Comment
6/21/17 @ 5:38 PM
take em 26
take em 26
USER since 12/29/09

Has anyone clipped a al's rotating flasher directly to the dipsey? If so any success?

Post Your Comment
4/30/14 @ 8:31 AM
sloshkosh
sloshkosh
USER since 3/30/04
You want about 6 to 9 feet of 30 lb mono to the lure.

You can run a spoon, j plug, flasher/fly it doesnt matter. If your just starting out keep the length of line from the dipsey to your lure shorter than your rod lenght or it will be tough to land fish and also harder to set lines with say 15 feet of stuff behind the dipsey.

If you are going to run 4 divers and have not bought all your gear yet I would recommend 2 longer rods like 9 footers and 2 shorter rods like 7.5s. Put the shorter rods closest to the back of the boat and run them totally parrallel to the water on a setting like 1.5 or 2.

About a foot ahead towards the front of your boat run the 9 foot rods with the tips up just a bit higher than your other 2 rods and put those on a 3 setting.

Your looking to get the back 2 down deep and keep them tighter to the boat, and the front 2 to run outside of them and probably a little higher.

I ran 4 dipseys for awhile and it can certainly work and work smoothly with the correct spread and setup.

I would NOt recommend putting 4 flashers out especially when your starting. Go one flasher a side until you are confident in where everything is running.

Edited on 5/20/14 8:42 AM
Post Your Comment
4/30/14 @ 6:52 AM
Mike Nitro
Mike Nitro
USER since 4/3/14
I agree with running a snubber to provide some "cushion" on those aggressive hits. I use the clear ones from Opti tackle and have never had one fail. Also, you can run a smaller size dodger and fly combo or just a spoon if you want. Remember that you can only reel in the diver to the rodtip so try not to get the leader too long or landing fish gets frustrating.

Post Your Comment
4/29/14 @ 7:40 PM
Rhino46
Rhino46
USER since 7/18/11
You can run dodgers or flashers on dypsies no problem. You will want to use snubbers if you plan on running braided line.

Post Your Comment