Dispy Diver set-up

4/29/14 @ 7:30 PM
ORIGINAL POST
KTNJR
KTNJR
USER since 12/18/07
I have 16 footer deep V im setting up to do some fishing on the big pond. Im going to be running 4 dipsy diver rods. I would like to get down-riggers in a couple of years. In setting up dipsy divers, can you use dodgers or flashers after the dipsy diver or dont use them and just run the dipsy diver?
Post Your Comment
Displaying 11 to 20 of 25 Posts
7/24/17 @ 5:22 PM
5walleyes
5walleyes
USER since 3/12/10

Hockeyguy39 - It trips when you pull back against the fish -or when you just pull back on it to trip it when bringing lines in. The extra water pressure on the dipsy will trip it. Usually a fish of any size trips it on its own when your rod tries to rebound against the initial strike.  You'll need to play with the tension screw a bit while testing it along side the boat at trolling speed.   

Post Your Comment
7/24/17 @ 12:26 PM
hockeyguy39
hockeyguy39
USER since 8/24/07

Does a strike trip the dipsey? Or do you have to pop it once you have a hit? Based on that diagram, I can't see how it would trip since a strike would appear to pull in the opposite direction. Or am I missing something?

Post Your Comment
7/21/17 @ 2:20 PM
5walleyes
5walleyes
USER since 3/12/10

Here's a pic of the S-Biner rig....

-5i's

Post Your Comment
7/14/17 @ 8:42 PM
_Landshark_
_Landshark_
USER since 8/24/13

This is my first year on lake michigan and I started using dipsy divers with the s-biner setup from the getgo.  I run 30# powerpro which has a loop at the end. I have a length of 30" flouro that I tied to the loop and my spoon or flasher-fly combo goes on the end.  I can run whatever leader length I want.  I just let out the line and clip the dipsy to the loop with the s-biner.  The s-biner only connects to the front release pin.  Nothing is connected to the back of the dipsy.  If the loop or knot looks sketchy just re-tie and continue.

I thought about using two or16 releases but I want to be able to get the dipsy off the line as fast as possible.  

The standard dipsy leader is normally the length of your rod because the dipsy does not come off the line.  Any longer than that and you're standing in the front of the boat or handlining the longer leader.

The s-biner setup eliminates this problem and lets you run whatever leader length you want, ie 5ft or 50ft.

The s-biner is about 1 1/4 inches long and they sell for about $5 a pair.

Post Your Comment
7/13/17 @ 6:41 PM
diver hunter 1987
diver hunter 1987
USER since 9/29/09

Since running s biner setups ive increased the bites on my dipsy rods significantly.  I run 2 or-16 clips instead of s-biner put alittle slack between the two arms and double wrap both clips. Only problem I had was running 30lb braid and not setting dipsy release light enough.  Went to 50lb braid and no problems since.

Post Your Comment
7/13/17 @ 4:15 PM
fishmunkee
fishmunkee
USER since 3/20/02

For dipseys run 30-50 # power pro or equivalent or wire. Have a snap at end of line to attach to dipsey. I run snubber behind the dipsey but some do not (pros/cons to each). I run 6  - 8 foot long 25 # mono leads with snap/Swivel at each end from snubber then your lure (FF, Spoon, plug, etc.) I use the standard size dipsey with braid line on the shallower/high outside divers and wire lines with a mag dispey as the inside low/deep divers. If fish are high in water column I use slide divers as my high divers.Set the low dispeys to 1 - 1.5 and the high to 2.5-3 so the plane out and avoid each other. If not running DR then set the low dipseys to 0.

Post Your Comment
7/13/17 @ 12:58 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
USER since 9/27/01

If all you're going to run are dipseys, look into the S-Biner setup.  You can leave longer leads and have the ability to detach the dipsey when fighting/netting a fish.  Do a search on this site.  It's been discussed a few times and someone posted a diagram on how to set it up.

Edit: I did a search and the post with the diagram didn't come up.  But here's another link: S-Biner Set Up .  Scroll down a bit and you'll find it.

I've seen the S-Biner clips and Fleet Farm and Home Depot.

Edited on 7/13/17 1:01 PM
Post Your Comment
7/13/17 @ 12:40 PM
take em 26
take em 26
USER since 12/29/09

Quick questions! When you guys say that you have one rod down the shoot. Do you have it in the prop wash? And what do you use weighted spoons?

Post Your Comment
7/11/17 @ 12:42 PM
ole 870
ole 870
USER since 6/27/01

Great advice guys. I too have a new boat and want to get set up to run with 4 dipsys. I have very little GL experience. I do not want to break the bank, so am looking for advice on what equipment I should look for that wroks well, but economically priced. I'm hearing that I should run 2 7.5' rods and 2 9' rods, but what type of rod holders and reels are good? What should I stay away from. What test of line should I be using? What size dipsy's and other hardware should I use if running 4? And lastly, can somone maybe post some pictures or pm me with some that show how to rig up the snubbers and all that jazz with these dipsys? Gotta make a list now so I can get rigged up in time for next year. thanks guys

Post Your Comment
6/21/17 @ 9:38 PM
nubbz07
nubbz07
USER since 12/31/09

yes I tried it last year with pretty good luck.the way i did it was big als hooked right on the dipsy, 4-5 leader to a spoon. never tied it with anything other than soons tho.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 11 to 20 of 25 Posts