Winterizing the Cabin

8/30/14 @ 1:14 PM
ORIGINAL POST
river_chaser
river_chaser
USER since 10/3/12
My family uses the cabin in the winter and need running water so I do keep my heat set at 50 throughout the winter when the cabin is not in use. What do people do to minimize heat loss from the windows during the winter? Anything besides the usual visqueen or 3M shrink wrap to weatherize the windows? Am thinking of blocking the inside of the windows with sheets of 1 inch foam insulation. Trying to do away with horrendous fuel bill like last winter Any one with thoughts or experience on this. Thanks
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 25 Posts
9/21/18 @ 8:36 PM
One shot one kill
One shot one kill
MEMBER since 8/12/02

I checked Northern  tool that used to sell them . They no longer do . But I Googled solar air heat and found smaller window units for under 200.00 . 

Post Your Comment
9/20/18 @ 9:08 PM
One shot one kill
One shot one kill
MEMBER since 8/12/02

R-C 

what do you use for heat ? Electricity  , gas , propane  ?  

We use propane and last year was about 650 for the year  , heating and stove . We keep it at 55 to 60 . A bit warm  , but then it warms up faster . Plus the first year  it was lower , and a few times "chunky" water came out . No actual breaks  , so the next year I turned it up a bit . 

Have you ever thought of solar ?  Northern tool used to have solar panels that heated up and then blew it in you house . Had a thermostat and a solar powered fan to blow it in when temp dropped .  I can't remember the price , 2 or 3  grand .  But if it takes you up to 70 - 80 during the day and you have a small fan on a timer to move it around  , it should last most of the day before you have to pay for heat .

My neighbor is full time and has geothermal and loves it  . 

Post Your Comment
9/20/18 @ 9:06 PM
12packabs
12packabs
USER since 12/19/06

I've sold Zoeller for years, among many other brands of effluent pumps.  It is not significantly better than many other brands in the market.

The link below lists in the top 10 mostly retail pumps, which are generally lower in quality than professional grade (Zoeller is not normally a retail pump).  Wayne is no 1?  Give me a break....it's a cheap Chinese import available from Grainger.

The article says the M53 is 3hp....not true.  It is 1/3hp....very different than 3hp.  a 3hp pump could pump 100gpm with 15' of lift with a normal sump impeller.  The article was FILLED with typos, as if it were written by those not speaking English as their primary language.

Sump pumps are not tested to how well they handle being frozen solid, then operating after thawing.  That is not normal for their environment.  The Zoeller may be a good choice, but there are plenty others.  All sump pumps have plastic impellers, as does the Zoeller...and none are designed to freeze hard and thaw without damage.

Post Your Comment
9/19/18 @ 8:21 PM
Eyetest
Eyetest
USER since 7/12/01

Agree, Zoeller sump.....

Post Your Comment
9/4/18 @ 7:29 AM
fltlndr
fltlndr
USER since 12/25/02

Zoller sump pump. pricey but well worth it.

Post Your Comment
9/4/18 @ 6:37 AM
Johny13
Johny13
USER since 9/4/18

you people are talking about sump pump. hope to get the exact answer of my question from you people that's why posting here " Recommend me best Sump pump for home use" My older sump pumps were not long lasting

Edited on 9/8/18 2:55 AM
Post Your Comment
2/12/18 @ 5:59 PM
Shellfish
Shellfish
USER since 7/19/03

My cabin is more for new build methods.  On my cabin which is 12 years old I had my plumber during the build set cabin up for quick drain.    When leaving cabin, 

Turn furnace down to 56,   flip fuse for water pump and electric water heater off.  Open all faucets and flush all toilets until empty. Plunge water out of toilet traps and put rv antifreeze in all traps. Open drain valve above water heater and both valves after pressure tank in basement.  These are at lowest spot.  They catch in 5 gallon buckets remaining water in angled pipes around house.  Takes about 5 to 7 minutes to stop draining.  I do not empty the water heater tank.  This sits in basment next to floor drain.  Plumber stated i would without doubt start the water heater before i refilled it and ruin it long before this place would freeze and maybe lose the heater to freeze.  I turn thermostat on gas fireplace to 50 degrees. Installed in fireplace a device called the cabin friend that can turn gas fireplace on by battery power.  If power would go out for extended time and dropped to 50 degrees in cabin the device would turn on fireplace.  Does not run fans but easily heats all the main floor.  12 years no problem.   We heat  and electric cabin in northern wi in dead of winter for less than 100 per month.

Post Your Comment
2/12/18 @ 2:15 PM
7thson
7thson
USER since 6/4/06

Lakeshiner , your house/cabin sounds just like mine . Monolithic slab that has pex type heat coils run from a boiler throughout it . Summer fills and woodburner , 2x6 walls , home faces south with enough glass to catch whatever is available in winter to also warm the tile floors . Toasty !!

Post Your Comment
2/12/18 @ 6:35 AM
albertbill21
albertbill21
USER since 2/11/18

thanks 4 this. i also also have the same problem.

Post Your Comment
11/3/14 @ 8:13 PM
buckhound
buckhound
USER since 4/18/06
We turn off the pump from under the kitchen sink then open all the faucets.The pressure tank pushes water out of the system down to floor level. the basement is walled off below the kitchen/bath and has a small radiant heater which keeps it at 50 degrees. thats all we have done for 13 years with no problems yet. when we come back up north we just turn on the pump switch. no big production.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 25 Posts