Truck campers with a 1/2 ton pick up?

5/30/14 @ 12:57 PM
ORIGINAL POST
AllDayIDreamAboutSmallies
MEMBER since 3/14/06
Do you need a 3/4 ton p/u truck these days for a nice truck camper? We're knocking around the idea of getting one down the road but need a new vehicle soon and would like to have the truck to accomodate it. Preferably a truck that is not a gas hog. Any input will be appreciated. Thanks!
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 7 of 7 Posts
6/3/14 @ 4:28 PM
MEMBER since 3/14/06
Camper not trailer!

Post Your Comment
6/3/14 @ 2:40 AM
muskrat30
muskrat30
USER since 10/14/01
We just dropped back to a 2014 GMC 1500 'double cab' from a 2003 crew cab. Our 21' trailer weighs just over 3000 lbs empty. The rest of my trailers and boats are much lighter. One needs to keep some margin below max listed weights. Our 2500 CC was listed up over 10,000 lbs for towing, other weights applied too.

The travel trailer is 21' long, so not that big. It all depends on how big of a trailer you want to tow, where, and driver experience. If you get a very large trailer I'd lean towards the "3/4 ton" truck. The heavier frame, brakes with the high psi tires make for an easy tow.

Post Your Comment
6/2/14 @ 11:33 PM
ducks forever
ducks forever
USER since 10/15/07
i don't know what brand truck you are looking for but Ford and dodge are sprung heavier than GM a f150 is about equal to a Chevy 2500 HD and a 2500 dodge is about equal to a 1 ton gm things to keep in mind you can always add air bag helper springs

Post Your Comment
6/1/14 @ 7:46 AM
bluegillchasher
bluegillchasher
MEMBER since 1/8/05
check truck camper magazine.com you find the dry and wet weight of most campers.

Post Your Comment
5/31/14 @ 7:19 PM
Esox JJ
Esox JJ
USER since 6/4/05
My wife wanted a pull behind trailer so I told her I needed to be able to pull my boat. We decided to get a truck camper. We went and bought a 2500 HD silverado back in 2004 thinking this would be a good truck to put a camper on. Then we went to the RV show to look at truck campers. She wanted a camper with a dry bath shower. The two brands we looked at were Bigfoot and Lance. They had slideouts and everything else she wanted. The salesman asked what kind of truck do we have. I was proud to say that we had the 2500 HD. My jaw dropped when he said you need a one ton for these units. So we were stuck tent camping until we could find something that would work. Well last year she saw about five truck campers up north where we go camping and she got the bug again. When we got home she wanted to go to kramers campers and have them keep an eye out for what she wanted that would go on the 2500 HD. Mrs. kramer told Mr. Kramer to take us out and show us the 1055 Lance that they were selling. It had the wifes dry bath shower but no slide outs. That was good enough for her. I still had to install air bags on the truck though. So before you buy a 1/2 ton truck find out what camper you want first and have someone advise you on the size truck you will need. JJ

Post Your Comment
5/30/14 @ 3:37 PM
bluegillchasher
bluegillchasher
MEMBER since 1/8/05
if you go with a pop-up you should not have any trouble finding one. ran one on a Dakota 6 years no problems. how ever if you want all the options,microwave, bathroom, air, ect. go with 3/4 ton or one ton

Post Your Comment