Treasure hunting after dam failures or draw downs

10/29/14 @ 11:52 AM
ORIGINAL POST
nontypical
nontypical
USER since 1/17/03
This fall I have been exploring a dried up lake bed that had a dam failure and I've been finding stuff that's cool to me like old rusty fishing lures and boat anchors and also picking up litter left behind along the way. Its been fun looking for treasures and cleaning up the environment at the same time. Does anybody know of any dried up lakes or rivers, with a dam failure or dam repair draw down situation in Wisconsin? Or know of a way to search online for them? It doesn't take a lot to make me happy.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 27 Posts
11/15/14 @ 5:50 PM
nontypical
nontypical
USER since 1/17/03
Sherwood Lake in central Wisconsin. The lake needs help!

see Friends of Sherwood Lake Facebook page and

wedigsherwoodlake.wix.com/-sherwood-lake

Edited on 11/15/14 6:24 PM
Post Your Comment
11/14/14 @ 6:26 PM
garro
garro
USER since 9/8/01
Non T What lake were you on LOL

Post Your Comment
11/14/14 @ 3:16 PM
Watchinbobbers
Watchinbobbers
USER since 6/30/10
I believe nontypical is now the lord of middle earth! (one ring to rule them all)

Post Your Comment
11/14/14 @ 10:24 AM
nontypical
nontypical
USER since 1/17/03
boscrowe, Thanks. Unfortunately our treasure hunting has probably come to an end with about 2" of snow cover in central Wisc. Here's a few of the treasurers we found this past fall. Surprising the rings were found without a metal detector laying on top of the surface. We did try a metal detector but our results were less than with the naked eye although the brother-in-law did have some success with a metal detector.

Post Your Comment
11/13/14 @ 5:41 PM
boscrowe
boscrowe
USER since 2/28/09
South of stoughton the river is way down just before the dam . I've been thinking about hiking around there but haven't done it yet .

Post Your Comment
11/4/14 @ 6:58 PM
Plmlk
Plmlk
MEMBER since 12/18/07
Figured I was missing something... Thanks

Post Your Comment
11/4/14 @ 6:03 PM
Edward Felcohands
Edward Felcohands
USER since 2/24/09
The Anchor gets stuck on some rocks on the bottom and you have to cut the rope so you can go home. Happens a lot by the power plant in oak creek(possibly where fish boy is, maybe the browns are in and everybody is keeping quiet) some folks are idiots and they just toss the whole rope in the water and leave.

Post Your Comment
11/4/14 @ 5:27 PM
Plmlk
Plmlk
MEMBER since 12/18/07
That is weird FB...

If the rope was still floating you'd think they'd claim their anchor before getting off the lake.

I know if my anchor came untied, and the rope was still floating, I'd go get it! Who wants to buy a new anchor and rope if they don't have to?

Am I missing something?

Post Your Comment
11/4/14 @ 3:02 AM
Fish Boy 35
Fish Boy 35
USER since 1/14/05
Lately I have been doing all my treasure hunting while in my boat and from the same lake I have caught one GLoomis IMX with a non usable spirex reel, 1 dipsy diver with flasher attached and 2 anchors (one rubberized other not). Thing that pisses me off about the anchors is the two individuals that got them stuck left all the rope floating on the surface for someone to run over and fry there lower unit or worse! Big Smile

Post Your Comment
11/3/14 @ 7:39 PM
ThreeFiftySeven
ThreeFiftySeven
USER since 3/14/03
I can't seem to (almost refuse to) put the fishing gear aside half the time, but this is cool stuff. Thanks for sharing pics and info. Early 1900's would be the oldest bottle found for me...sitting proudly on an old friend's shelf. Nice scores...

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 27 Posts