SEARCH
MORE
General Outdoor Discussion

Trapping seasons coming-Lets TALK!!!!

7/26/02 @ 7:39 PM
INITIAL POST
a1trapper
User since 7/6/01
Any trappers out there who wish to exchange info? Would like to contact Brian Potter, A member of the Minn. Trappers Assn. I have a super receipt for a coon/fox bait. Lets talk. Trapper

Displaying 1 to 15 of 2,166 posts
5/3/19 @ 12:42 PM
LUVtheOTDRS
LUVtheOTDRS
User since 11/15/06

Hoping everyone on this thread had a fruitful 2018-2019 season. My Dad and I (and my youngest daughter had to join too) before we sold for the final time of this season. Looking forward to October already!!

2/7/19 @ 10:06 PM
fish n beer
User since 1/25/09

H&H I have to ask why low fur prices are keeping you from trapping? I haven’t been doing it very long as I stated before roughly 6 years but I understand there is more to trapping then just income. Trappers play an import role keeping diseases, parasites, and populations in check. I don’t trap to make money I truly enjoy the time I spend setting and checking (even after falling on my butt a dozen times this morning because of the ice covering everything) as it gets me outdoors more, it’s taught me to have a higher level of respect for nature, I feel im overall a better outdoorsman, it’s taught me a higher level of  patience, and the fact it’s very humbling at times pushes me to keep going. Also there are alternative markets for glands, skulls, organs, and other animal parts out there to add to the value of the animal plus a tanned pelt market as well. 

2/1/19 @ 8:20 AM
Hunter&Hound
User since 7/24/01

I sold a few hundred rats...stretched and dried...for $3.19 (average).

It's terrible and I've made the tough decision to NOT trap next fall.  Just no money to be made.

It wasn't long ago...4-5 years...a guy could make real money trapping muskrats.  But, I was averaging $10-$12 a piece then and catching a couple hundred a week.

1/31/19 @ 6:16 PM
Carpio
Carpio
PRO MEMBER User since 11/5/17

Just curious. After many years of trapping I quit in 1969. Around that time furs were bringing a good buck.the buyers were buying them on the “hoof”even frozen.We didn’t have to skin them ! We were getting 3:50$-5$ for rats,up to 55$ for buck mink, and 1$ per lb for coon.  40lb coon=40$!      What are they bringing now?     I still have my # 1 1/2 s. And. 110s.      CARPIO   ( the other day I tried setting a 110 and couldn’t do it!  I blame it on rusty traps lol).    

1/21/19 @ 8:43 PM
fish n beer
User since 1/25/09

Thanks clueless! I’ve only been trapping about 6 years and k9s for about 3.(well it took me 3 years to catch my first coyote lol) I have 2 otter tags but have never caught one before. I’m in the southern part of the state so we don’t have many cats around me. 

1/21/19 @ 8:33 PM
clueless
User since 10/24/04

Nice one fish &beer. This was my first year trapping. (Well I made a weak attempt a few years back) I got 2 totes in Oct and filled my otter tag last month. I struck out on my cat tag though. That was unfortunate because I know guys that get incidentals every year when they don't have a tag. I have seen cat tracks around here also since my season closed.

1/21/19 @ 8:13 PM
fish n beer
User since 1/25/09

Got a nice big male not rubbed today in a cable restraint 

1/7/19 @ 6:33 PM
madforlabs
User since 12/20/12

Anyone with an otter tag looking for a place to trap one?  PM me please.  Waupaca County area.

12/31/18 @ 3:24 PM
oldwalt
User since 8/9/01

Thanks H&H, I’ll keep that in mind !

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL !!! ??????

12/31/18 @ 3:09 PM
Hunter&Hound
User since 7/24/01

I'm not trapping any beaver right now...maybe in March.

Maybe someone else here can help.  If not, check w/ me in March and maybe I can help you out.

12/31/18 @ 2:01 PM
oldwalt
User since 8/9/01

H&H Thanks for the quick reply. I’m only looking at getting a couple !! 

12/31/18 @ 9:42 AM
Hunter&Hound
User since 7/24/01

oldwalt - How many are you looking for?  

12/31/18 @ 9:18 AM
oldwalt
User since 8/9/01

Beaver Trappers.. Were can I buy a fresh/frozen beaver tail ? Thx. 

920 579-3339

11/12/18 @ 10:23 AM
LUVtheOTDRS
LUVtheOTDRS
User since 11/15/06

Holy Moses that’s a good pile of rats!! Nice work H&H! Still good to see fellow trappers out there regardless of price. I’ll admit, I haven’t been hitting it nearly as hard as I have during “good” years, but still just enough to scratch the itch

11/8/18 @ 11:00 PM
Hunter&Hound
User since 7/24/01

I didn't have much motivation this fall.  I trapped the first week and got 240 rats, but luckily not a single coon, mink, beaver or otter.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 2,166 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing geared up by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE