No more DNR?

12/24/16 @ 5:09 AM
ORIGINAL POST
Lundguy2
Lundguy2
USER since 4/22/15
I thought I heard a quick thing on the radio that the state legislature is proposing breaking up the dnr into several separate branches...Anyone else hear about this?
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 18 Posts
1/13/17 @ 6:38 PM
Tim_T
Tim_T
USER since 6/17/11

When a group of hundreds of retired DNR employees from all facets within the agency gets together and sends a letter to lawmakers explaining why this proposed breakup of the DNR is a bad idea, it seems it should make one sit up and take notice.

After all these people worked within the system and know what it's like, were dedicated to their jobs, and most importantly don't have any skin in this issue. Why do you think they would band together to voice their collective opinion in this manner?

Tim

P.S. EDIT: now even the Secretary has actually spoken and is against it too. How long before she's run out for speaking up?

Edited on 1/14/17 10:15 AM
Post Your Comment
1/12/17 @ 10:55 AM
Cold Front
Cold Front
USER since 7/9/01

Obscene, Disgraceful........... Sigh. Tim T just about any time you disagree with anything that the current administration studies or proposes  you come up with these over the top characterizations. You certainly are entitled to your opinions but you are making a lot of assumptions on these topics that are not necessarily true. Tone it down and get a grip.Mrt.

Post Your Comment
1/11/17 @ 7:09 PM
Tim_T
Tim_T
USER since 6/17/11

pike eyes,

Yes, the costs will be huge for us taxpayers. Entire new agencies will have to be formed among other things. I see where a group of 6 previous DNR Secretaries and one asst' Secretary, who served either before it became a Governor appointed post or served under Governor's of either party have signed a joint letter opposing this idea.

The worst part of this scheme is that it would also dissolve the Natural Resources Board. In case one is not aware it they who give the OK or thumbs down to DNR activities/proposals, etc. Who do you think would have final say then?? I shudder to think of the consequences of this obscene, ill-thought idea.

Tim

Post Your Comment
1/11/17 @ 7:00 PM
Tim_T
Tim_T
USER since 6/17/11

farnorth,

Sorry to burst your bubble but wasn't the "environmentalist whackos" of the DNR that had different zoning regs from the rest of the state. It was counties and lake associations that agreed upon more restrictive than state regs. Particularly Washburn Co. was less than happy with this underhanded tactic. Everyone there was OK with he regs they had. Now, you said local should have more say than the state. Which is it? Does this clarification make any difference? If the State now has say on shoreline zoning, rather than Cos., who do you think drew up the regs that are now in effect? I'm guessing it wasn't the Dept. of Veteran's Affairs or the Corrections Dept.

Tim

Edited on 1/11/17 7:12 PM
Post Your Comment
1/11/17 @ 9:28 AM
Farnorthbadger
Farnorthbadger
USER since 12/7/13

Tim better to have regulated uniform shoreline standards across the state instead of environmentalist whackos employed in our WDNR deciding their own standards. It had gotten absolutely out of control under Doyle's WDNR. As far as I'm concerned it should all be local control  though. 

Post Your Comment
1/10/17 @ 6:17 AM
pike eyes
pike eyes
USER since 12/28/10

something i haven't seen posted yet, is that with the split come the rising cost of everything attached to thos differet entities. Permits, licenses,forestry products. they will all need there own motorpools, offices and so on. Food for thoufght.

Post Your Comment
1/9/17 @ 8:27 PM
Tim_T
Tim_T
USER since 6/17/11

farnorth,

Interesting to hear your thoughts on zoning issues. Are you aware that in the last budget the state removed local zoning laws and made them uniform statewide. Locals have no controls anymore on this issue. I'm talking about shoreline zoning issues.

Tim

Edited on 1/9/17 8:28 PM
Post Your Comment
1/9/17 @ 8:27 PM
Tim_T
Tim_T
USER since 6/17/11

farnorth,

Interesting to hear your thoughts on zoning issues. Are you aware that in the last budget the state removed local zoning laws and made them uniform statewide. Locals have no controls anymore on this issue. 

Tim

Post Your Comment
1/9/17 @ 3:18 PM
Farnorthbadger
Farnorthbadger
USER since 12/7/13

Ising pollution as an excuse to bully tax paying landowners into non developement on their own property is inexcusable. It was standard business under Doyle's WDNR. The WDNR should be working for the citizens of Wisconsin not against them. A split of all aspects of the WDNR would be a great start. Fish and game should worry about fish and game. Water quality should be in charge of water quality. Forestry should be in charge of the forests not deer populations. Make each entity responsible for its own tasks and watch them very closely for abuse. And zoning issues should only ever be handled by local entities,county or city or town zoning that can essentially be voted on through elections or recalls. 

Post Your Comment
1/9/17 @ 12:29 PM
Farnorthbadger
Farnorthbadger
USER since 12/7/13
No landowners should be polluting anything least of all public water. But our WDNR had gotten entirely out of control under Doyle. Rogue employees harassing law abiding ,tax paying property owners with no repercussions whatsoever. It was stocked top to bottom with untouchable environmental extremeists........many of which are still there. Splitting the WDNR into stand alone agencies will do nothing but shed light onto these issues. And it will be much much easier to spot and remove problem employees. That will be a win win not only for Wisconsin residents ,but also for a WDNR that badly needs to rebuild trust with the citizens of Wisconsin. 

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 18 Posts