Natural resource conservation service land

1/6/16 @ 6:27 AM
ORIGINAL POST
Justin01
Justin01
USER since 3/30/13
Natural resource conservation service (a wetland reserve easement program) has anyone on here had any experience with a property in this program I am looking at buying some land and it is in this program for life which doesn't bother me but just worried about resale down the road and what I can actually all do on this property. I've called Madison Dnr they directed me to another guy who directed me to yet more people. If I do actually peruse this land I will hire an attorney to read the deed and documents to know for sure just trying to get some idea what I'm getting into thanks
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 5 of 5 Posts
1/6/16 @ 4:03 PM
Sedge Fox33
Sedge Fox33
USER since 6/20/14
The program is USDA/NRCS. Federal program, locally administrated. DNR is only involved during the initial paperwork.

Post Your Comment
1/6/16 @ 3:58 PM
Sedge Fox33
Sedge Fox33
USER since 6/20/14
Overall, I would put the land in and I would probably buy land in the program. We get about 1 site visit a year. Arrange to have them call first. They check orthophotos every year, you miss very little checking photos. All property has its' headaches. Depending on surrounding area yours could be great for deer.

Post Your Comment
1/6/16 @ 12:11 PM
Justin01
Justin01
USER since 3/30/13
Thanks for the info knowing what you know now would you put it in there ever again and it would you ever buy land in a program like that? And also do people actually come out and check on the property to the point where it's excessive? Thanks

Post Your Comment
1/6/16 @ 10:30 AM
Sedge Fox33
Sedge Fox33
USER since 6/20/14
I have land in WRP (30 year lease). You will be very limited in management of land your looking at. Any management; mowing, adjusting water levels, invasive control, structures, etc. requires approval.

The biggest problem is the three C's:Cattails, Canadian Thistles and Canary Grass.

Still WRP land has a lot of upside. It generally is considered private property. My property has a fair number of ducks and is crazy with frogs.

Good luck

Post Your Comment